💬 Review Nancy Drew and the Secret of the old Clock

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,391 happy users since 2014.
Register

nefersita

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Nancy Drew and the Secret of the old Clock

Nancy Drew is a overclass girl who finds herself trying to solve a mystery about a missing will and will meet a lot of people, hearing their stories as she sets out to help those in need.

Review:
This one is considered an old classic and has been rewritten several times. I read the 1959 version but the original was created 1930.

I was firstly, quite surprised by her activeness. This lady is not afraid to take action, there is even a car chase in the book. Something I did not expect from a 1930’s book. The story still holds up and Nancy is a good role model if not a bit to perfect for my taste. She wasn’t as perfect in the original version, who showed joy towards her enemies’ defeat and pain, now she is just a kind soul.

The characters feel stereotypical, they might not have been back in the day, but we have seen the idealistic heroine, who relies on her cunning, before with her lawyer to father who seem to be supportive of her doing detective work despite being a child. We have nice old ladies, wealthy bullies who are arrogant, thieves from the lower class

The mystery in itself was straightforward and more of a search than a mystery. A goal, finding the will, is presented and she then goes from place to place, finding a clue where to go to next until she reach that goal. There isn’t much of a mindtwister, and the point is more to let the reader go along Nancy then let them try to solve the mystery beforehand. The culprit, if you can call it that, is also random and has no larger role in this story than for someone to be arrested at the end. They could easily just have been removed and I don’t think the story would have been affected.

It is an easy read, barely 180-210, pages with a large text. It can be read very fast and is perfect for those who hasn't much time for longer books but still wants and enjoyable read to the weekend.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes: Overall, the story holds up even today, and I can see young and old liking this. I would recommend this easy read, if you like an old classic, detective story. It is a trip into the past, not only depicted in a different time but also written back then.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐