Writer's Notebook

A place for members to share their own original writing.

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Nasty

Niikomanis

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
The pitiful creature kept trailing around Golos, as if trying to attract her attention, as she walked down the Palace hall. Years ago she came to the conclusion that it had no consciousness, yet it felt like it was provoking her deliberately. It jumped across the room, desperately trying to catch something in the air. Its overall shape reminded Golos of the palace, twisted ankles like jagged sticks melting into a gooey mold, connecting them in a distorted way a human mind can not rationalize. The creature's gestures were hard to read, no rules of nature could explain such twists and turns and trying to distinguish each one from the other would be a task accomplishable only by the Gods themselves. Every movement of the creature was painful to Golos' eyes - she became nauseous by simply looking at it. Unfortunately, that was part of her job. Every slight change of its position was followed by an after image an it seemed that it was incapable of stillness, it was always in motion without any destination or intention in its hollow mind. Maybe it was following a bug of some sorts. It couldn’t have an intention, not that it matters. It was simply the definition of chaos itself. She ignored it. It won’t follow her all the way anyway.

Focus, Golos. Ignore this wretch, it is just trying to distract you.

Golos steadied herself and continued towards the Palace center. She walked with her perfect composure through a hallway which was the darkest, eeriest section of the palace. There were no windows to illuminate her path. The walls was lined with majestic paintings, all in black in white to her since she can only see it with her acute night-vision. The floors were engraved with enigmatic scripts and symbols, but it just looked like random, vague scrawling to her, marred by lumps of gooey masses she presumed to be excrement. Nasty. Golos considered why there was no windows or torches in the hallway, no one could see them in this dark. Only she and the other Guardians could walk through this darkness without stumbling around like a fool. Even if she could see the colours of the artwork in the darkness, she still wouldn’t appreciate their beauty - Guardians were simply not created for that purpose.

Besides her echoing steps, there was only the unnerving silence as she approached a massive door with light seeping from the cracks below it. She reached for the door handle and pushed it open, letting the light from the room beyond spill over her and light the hallway. She blinked rapidly as her vision adjusted to it, tears coming to her eyes.

"SQEEEEEEEEEARTK!"

Golos spun around, wary. Her eyes frantically scanned the slick corridor to spot the source of the disturbance. A dark mass on the floor caught her attention. Apparently, the creature from before followed her. Even though it was forbidden for entities like it to leave their designated areas.

"Please return to your room,” Golos said coldly. The creature suddenly beelined towards the lit room with a burst of frantic energy. Golos immediately threw herself between the open door and the creature, but it crashed directly into Golos' robed legs. It waggled its stick-like legs with ridged edges in an attempt to cut its way through the cloth. Golos felt a rise of panic. Looking at this thing from distance was one thing, but feeling its ferocious movements against her robe revolted her. A wave of chaotic energy flooded through her entire body. Her legs and feet started to shake and she could barely stand up straight. Her perfect image became distorted. It shook and dispersed like a fog under the summer Sun. The illusion of herself wavered.

What?

She didn't expect anything like this from the creature, but then again you couldn't expect anything from it.

A painful high-pitched sound blasted through the palace hall. Golos slammed her hands against her ears and shut her eyes closed, the creature forgotten. The waves of the terrible screech pierced through her whole body. She felt it shaking her guts from the inside. It stirred and swirled like a raging storm trying to find its way out. The creature also appeared to be affected by the noise when it scrambled backwards as if frightened.

Something changed.

The sound stopped, but the ringing in her ears lingered for a while before disappearing and her insides felt suddenly sensitive, as if she could feel each organ in her body individually. Golos finally calmed herself and opened her eyes. She found herself crouched down on the floor. She breathed in.

"How dare YOU touch me? How dare YOU live with this pathetic form of yours? Your existence is painful to all of our eyes, you bring only fear, horror and utter chaos in this house. The Mistress might tolerate you, but you will not disobey her. Not with me in command.”

She looked at the worthless thing on the floor with eyes that almost seemed pained.

“Do you even know how unbearable your disgusting *existence* is?” Golos shouted, “The best service you can do to her is to stay out of her sight. I will make sure you're treated accordingly to your behaviour if you ever try to disobey the law. Do not tempt me again to use violence, is that clear?’’

Unfortunately for the thing, Golos was always ruthless everything that had to be done. The definition of the word ‘hesitation’ was alien to her as much as the creature's appearance was. It struck again. Golos kicked the creature right in the middle of its ‘body’, she swore she heard it grunt.

“I repeat, IS THAT CLEAR?”

It stopped squirming. Only the ankles twitched like they always did but the main body was still. What was left of her forbearance fled her. She stuck her hands deep into the thing's flesh and tried to grab its supposed head, though it was more of a formless blob. She felt a slight resistance as she slowly dug deeper with her sharp nails into its soft skin until a white and sticky liquid spurted out of the wounds and spilled on the floor and her robes. Golos lifted the creature up and slammed it into the wall. She looked into its eyes, or at least she thought it was its eyes. The reflection of Golos' own skin shone on a round shape on the surface as she looked into it. She could almost convince herself that she found a glimpse of sentience or some of the majestic consciousness the creature once possessed. It knew. It watched them all the whole time and knew, but it did nothing. It made the choice for eternal impotence. She saw its experiences, her own inexperienced self, her Mistress and other Guardians of long time before. She saw how they changed and how they developed. She saw all of the events leading up to this very moment.

It couldn’t be a dull, empty creature. It was there, listening to her. She clenched her empty hand into a fist while tightening the grip on the creature with the other. It brought her to this, this disaster, and now it won't even dare come back?

"Because of you she suffered. Because of you she is still suffering. Why can't you just see what your actions have done to all of us? You still exist only to torture us! To torture yourself. I doubt you enjoy this existence,” she said with an even, but tense, tone. Hatred burned in her eyes like hot coals as she stared deep into its eyes.

No. Golos would not allow it inside of her. All those times of uselessness, all those years of futile efforts, all of the agony she suffered that she held inside herself was finally unbottled.

“Do the best service a traitor can do, and die.”

As she squeezed harder, she observed for any reaction, but nothing came, as she expected.

"Coward.”

She dropped it, turned, and walked away, leaving the sounds of quiet sobbing behind her.

A tear trailed down her cheek as she left her father behind.

Hans Bloodsmith

Hardcore Lv9️⃣
Member for 6 years
Oh ho ho, that was amazing story, there's almost no mistakes in the writing as far i could tell, and i definitely can smell the fantasy setting in this, since there still things like Gods, palace, mistress and... Gollum like creature? That was the first thing that pop into my mind when you describe Golos' daddy.
All in all it's a great story, and i really curious for some more background, great job 👍

Niikomanis

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Oh ho ho, that was amazing story, there's almost no mistakes in the writing as far i could tell, and i definitely can smell the fantasy setting in this, since there still things like Gods, palace, mistress and... Gollum like creature? That was the first thing that pop into my mind when you describe Golos' daddy.
All in all it's a great story, and i really curious for some more background, great job 👍
Thank you so much! I actually got a help on this one of my friend. I showed to him my writing and he kind of helped me mostly with the grammar. Sadly, we're not friends anymore and I will have to rely on myself completely in the future :) That's fine

Ohh hm,..Well, I had something specific in mind when I wrote about the creature. Everything in this story is basically a metaphor and I feel like I have to flesh everything out before I can continue with such small chapters. I have an idea for what I could do... I would be surprised if anyone got the metaphor because it's really obscure.
Post automatically merged:

Great story, you got the vibe very good, you're on the right track, i can't wait to see where this ends
Thank you! I still have much work to do before I can continue writing this :) Besides, I have a bunch of other cool story ideas on my mind