💬 Review No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,795 happy users since 2014.
Register

renatr00

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

No Longer Human is Osamu Dazai’s last finished book, published in 1948, the book serves as an fictionalized autobiography of a miserable life with a naked and visceral description of his darkest core, a free fall into an abyss of depression and despair.

Review:
Depression may seem, and perhaps is, the evil of the present century; however, what can be characterized as “depression” is not a phenomenon that magically appeared with the emergence of the 21st century, it has been around for a long time. Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human is a book where what we now call "depression" is present. The protagonist and narrator Yozo tells his life in diary form. Instead of being divided into chapters, the book is divided into three notebooks. The work synthesizes in passages and scenes, often biographical, the anxieties of Dazai himself, author who committed suicide at 38 years of age.
The book's narrative is notoriously straightforward. Written in the first person, the narrator says a lot in a few words. Yozo is a young provincial student who tries to survive in Tokyo and tells of his difficulties in getting along with others and getting in, not just in Tokyo but anywhere. Early in the book, Yozo tells of his somewhat traumatic childhood and how he always felt out of place. The character is enveloped in a sadness that spreads throughout his being preventing him from finding a joy of life that he never really felt.
Still in the first notebook, before the narrative becomes a little more defined and linear, Yozo states something very interesting: despite being a person who is never happy and who feels as if many misfortunes have been poured over him, Yozo admits that he is unable to understand the nature or intensity of another's suffering, even though it is something like starving.
Another trait of the character's personality is the way he presents himself to others. To disguise his fears, insecurity and inner fears, Yozo wears the joker's cloak. He is busy doing clowns of various kinds to make others laugh, but if one realizes that everything is purposeful, the situation further traumatizes the character. Yozo says he is afraid of other people and, even arousing the interest of several women, admits that he is unable to love them; Survive by making stories and illustrations of dubious quality.
No Longer Human is a short book, but in its small number of pages, there are many emotions and thoughts. Yozo's tormented mind, his drinking addiction, his various relapses.... Everything is delivered to the reader who finds himself unable to not think about the content of the work. Reading is fast and what happens to Yozo is set in the last century, but it could be happening today.
The end of the book is the most emotionally appealing part of the work, not in the sense that the scene projects itself as a drama, but in the sense that it can actually touch the reader. If you have miraculously come here without thinking, reflecting, or bumping into any of the events, on the final pages you will be touched.
In addition to direct language, without much exaggerated flourish, the narrative can completely engage the reader either through the protagonist himself or through the other characters with whom Yozo meets throughout his life. It can be said to be a “charismatic” book, for lack of a better word. No Longer Human is one of those books you read in a single evening and gives you passages that you will think about for days on end.

Would you recommend this to other users? This is that type book that is easier to talk about in a conversation with someone you know. It is not impossible that its fragility can be interpreted as a perversity. His suffering documented, as a kind of sadism of the author.
Only this is not the truth that these pages convey. When reading No Longer Human, we are reminded that, yes, this is a possible outcome. But we also received a real shock treatment to react to. To follow another of the many possible ways. Because, yes, there are others. And they are all there waiting for us.
Sooooo... Yes(?).

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Malayotome

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
The translation by Donald Keene introduced me to this classic masterpiece. While it's a fact that the author went through similar events as the main character, I recalled the translator didn't wish for readers to infer the novel as some sort of autobiography.

It was easy for me to find my own reflection in Yozo's story. Whether it's meant for better or good didn't matter at the time I read. What mattered was the resonance that undermined the sense of feeling lost and lonely in this world.

The novel was indeed short, but it took me several days to complete. The emotional wreck provoked through Dazai's words was too heavy to read in a single sitting.

Chris4Christmas

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Hello

Im sorry, Im lost. Can anyone answer me a couple questions cause I want to clarify everything what I was reading

Osami Dazai is just a pen-name, the real name of author is Shūji Tsushima?
Oba Yozo, who is the main character in this book was indeed a real person but no-one know exactly who it was?
Dazai mixed up his personal events that happened in his life to this unknow person named Oba Yozo to look the story more sad, am I correct?
Oba Yozo indeed existed and he had miserable live according to his notes?
In the end, who took the notes(autobiography of Oba Yozo) from the girl in the bar?

I'd be appreciated if someone could help me sleep at night cause it drives me crazy to don't know these things

Last edited: