💬 Review Obey Me! One master to rule them all!

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,588 happy users since 2014.
Register

mintyenby

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Obey Me! One master to rule them all!

Obey Me is a dating sim about a human who is transported to Devildom as part of the demon king's student exchange program. There, they are to stay with seven demon brothers in the House of Lamentation. There are 11 romanceable characters and one befriendable character.

Review:
First off, I want to say that this game assumes nothing about the player character. The characters don't treat the MC like a damsel in distress as many otome games do. In fact, the MC is completely gender neutral and is referred to with they/them pronouns. That is already a huge plus for me as a nonbinary person. I can't fully immerse myself in a self-insert story if the MC is gendered so heavily and is portrayed as feminine and meek. The MC is pretty capable, too. They do things of their own volition. They have "I don't know what I'm doing and you can't stop me" energy which I like. Doing this probably did not take a lot of effort from the developers. It's easier to refer to the MC with they/them pronouns and not gender them, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Let's talk about the gameplay. You need to complete levels to move on to the visual novel part of the story. It's fairly easy. There's no strategy at all- you just activate the abilities and press hearts when they're on screen. It's pretty smooth sailing until chapter 22. Then it gets harder and harder. All you can do is level up your cards, use power-ups, and hope for good rng. It's annoying as the difficulty suddenly scales up between chapters, but it's not too much of a bother. It just takes a while to level up cards sometimes.

The story is linear. Your choices do not affect the story at all- they just give you entertaining dialogue. It's exactly like being the protagonist of a reverse-harem anime. The MC gets caught up in silly problems that are solved easily, and the love interests flirt with you. The writing style is mediocre, but it's fun and humorous, and that's all I want from this game. Just stupid fun.

I love the characters. They are undoubtedly the best part of the game. As I said earlier, there are 11 romanceable characters: the seven demon brothers who each represent a deadly sin, the demon king, his butler, an angel, and a human sorcerer. The other character is a child-like angel who is thousands of years old but is like, 10, so he's not romanceable for what I hope are obvious reasons. I love interacting with all of them and they're all pretty likable. I think with a cast of 12 characters, you would find a favorite. The messages and calls you get from them are cute too.

The gacha is.. fine? A 4/10 for me. You use the gacha to get cards of different characters and to progress in the story. The chances of getting a certain card is low, but you're guaranteed a card after a certain amount of draws. The problem for me is that many of the gachas are limited and are only available for 12 days. I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if the time for getting them wasn't so short ;; They do come back sometimes but there doesn't seem to be a schedule for it.

This game has so many bad deals. I haven't seen a single package that was worth it. If you were to collect every exclusive background, card, and profile picture, your wallet would hate you. I get by just fine by collecting the in-game currency and splurging for a certain card. It's frustrating that there are many things I'm missing out on because I can't pay for this game, but I can still progress through the story and enjoy the events.

Honestly the main reason I started playing this game was because I saw there was a community for it, and that's the second best part about this game. There are so many talented writers and artists in this community to enjoy these characters with you.

Would you recommend this to other users? Objectively, it's mediocre but it's just stupid fun like you'd get from a reverse-harem anime and you need that sometimes. If you want a silly dating sim with cool characters, then try out this game. Just play it casually and don't stress out about missing out on events or cards. You'll get burnt out.

That's it for this review. I hope it was coherent. I'm writing this at 3am... good night =_=;

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐