💬 Review One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,020 happy users since 2014.
Register

loonix7

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

This novel sets place in a mental institution in the 1950s. It tells about the ongoing clash between patients and their staff caretakers, particularly one affluent head nurse-in-charge.

Review:
I read this book a while back and right away it grabbed my attention. As per my very brief description the story takes place in an all-male patient mental institution circa the 1950s. The plot focuses on ongoing conflicts between its various colorful patients and the staffs. It also delves into controversial psychiatrical treatment methods given and the consequences of nonconformity.

Although the novel focuses in on a new patient named McMurphy, the readers view is seen through the narration of another patient who everybody calls 'Chief.' From the start we are given a rather thorough understanding of the how that particular institutional system operates, the familiarity of the other patients and the nurses/staff in-charge, especially the 'big nurse' at the forefront, who they call Nurse Ratched.

I really did enjoy the novel. What I got out of the read was, psychiatric practices back then were something else and definitely deserved to be criticized and condemned to the fullest. And that although we have come a long way in modern society, anything that is perceived as different from normal standards still gets poked and prodded at. It's a novel that definitely stands the test of time with issues addressed still prevalent today. I'd say it's not a difficult read, but it's definitely a novel that needs to be read more than once as there's so many layers to it. overall it's a very fun read.

Would you recommend this to other users? I would definitely recommend this book to others. It's a classic! I mean it's been adapted to a movie and now a tv show after all!

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:

mygoodness12

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 2 years
thank you for your really good review, was thinking about to get it, now I think I will