💬 Review OnePlus 6T by LordSlytherin

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,210 happy users since 2014.
Register

LordSlytherin

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 6 years
Reviewed Device: OnePlus 6T

Brief Description: A flagship device at a much more competitive price point. Has a fantastic display and processor, more than enough RAM, oodles of battery life. It does almost everything the $1000 dollar phones do and sometimes even better than them. A great buy still after one year from launch.

Performance: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Camera:     ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Quality:      ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Price:       ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Things I like:
I have been using the OnePlus 6T since it launched back in November 2018 so I have a good idea of how the device is. Keep in mind that I'm a power user who averages a screen time of 12-14 hours a day. I'll be doing the review one aspect at a time. So here goes:

Basic Specs:

Body: 157.5 x 74.8 x 8.2 mm, 185 g. Aluminium frame, glass back, 2.5D Gorilla Glass 6 display glass. Mirror Black, Midnight Black schemes.
Display: 6.41" Optic AMOLED, 2,340x1,080px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio 402ppi; sRGB/DCI-P3 color space support.
Rear cameras: Main camera: Sony IMX 519 1/2.6" sensor, 16MP, 1.22µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, phase detection autofocus, OIS, EIS. Secondary camera: Sony IMX376K sensor, 20MP, 1.0µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture. 2160p/60fps video recording, 1080p/240fps or 720p/480fps slow motion
Front camera: Sony IMX 371 sensor, 16MP, 1.0µm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture; EIS; 1080p/30fps video recording.
OS/Software: Android 9 Pie; OxygenOS custom overlay.
Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845: octa-core CPU (4x2.7 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver), Adreno 630 GPU.
Memory: 6/8GB of LPDDR4X RAM; 128/256GB UFS 2.1 2-LANE storage.
Battery: 3,700mAh Li-Po (sealed); Fast Charge (formerly Dash Charge) proprietary fast charging (5V/4A).
Connectivity: Dual nano-SIM; 5-Band carrier aggregation, LTE Cat.16/13 (1024Mbps/150Mbps); USB Type-C (v2.0); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0, supports aptX and aptX HD.

Screen: Starting with the most visible part of the phone, I can say that the screen on the OnePlus 6T is no slouch despite not being of a higher refresh rate. I've never had an issue with either the colour or the brightness. The visibility outside can sometimes be less than optimal but that is the case with almost any screen in the sun. Other than that you really have to appreciate the AMOLED display for it's deep black. I love to use dark themes for almost everything and with the new Android 10 update, it's such a delight to look at with everything going pitch black. The size of the screen os optimal in my opinion, it's not so big that is a challenge to hold and not so small that you can't enjoy the content. The thin bezels and the teardrop notch really reduce the footprint of the phone.

Battery Life: This is by far my favourite feature of the OnePlus 6T. Being a power user I hate being attached to the wall. With a 3700 maH battery and a great software the phone is easily able to last me a day and a half when I am out and about. While it does not support wireless charging the extremely fast dash charging more than makes up for it. To this day I'm surprised at how fast the phone charges. If watching a streaming service or is not uncommon to get over 10 hours of screen time.

Build Quality: OnePlus have always prided themselves on making flagship quality devices at a much lower price point and thus is their aim in build quality too. The glass back feels really premium with the black matte finish I've got and gives a nice weight to the device. The device is also fairly strong as I've dropped it without a cover a few times and it's still intact.

Software: I've been a fan of the stock Android experience from day 1. I used to supplement it by rooting the phone but with the Oxygen OS and Android experience improving so much in the last few years I don't feel the need to. Oxygen OS is without a doubt the best OEM ROM out there. It's smoother than the stock experience I had on the pixel 3 and adds a lot of much-needed features.

Security: One of the most talked-about features was the under-display fingerprint scanner on the 6T. While it may not be as fast and accurate as of the scanners on previous OnePlus devices the difference is hardly noticeable after some time. It is fairly accurate and with the fast face unlocking of Oxygen OS, it is seldom used. But still, a good feature none the less as it reduces the footprint

Things I don't like:
The lack of wireless charging in the phone is a big omission in this day and age. The lack of IP certification is also a confidence buster despite claims of water resistance by the company

Overall Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Verdict: I'd recommend it because of the superior battery life and world-class performance at a very competitive price point

Top Smartphone Reviews of the Month