💬 Review Pan’s labyrinth

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,006 happy users since 2014.
Register

Djflghjao

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Pan’s labyrinth

Directed by Guillermo del Torol, a dark fantasy tale that follows a girl named Pan with seemingly exceptional imagination(or is it imagination?) , believing she is a long lost princess of the underworld, tries to complete a set of tasks given to her by the faun in order to return to her homland.

Review:
The movie is excellent both in content and presentation. There is an underlying history context of the spanish civil war(if i remember correctly) in 1939, which is important in development of the plot. The main characters have complicated personality traits as well as backgrounds.
(Spoiler)
Every character's action were justied (let's say have understandable reasons)
- The maid was a part of resistance army, which was why she served the father. Her faith in magic and fantasies faded with time, like most people or just because the harsh life.
-The father suffered a likely traumatic upbring, leading to him being ruthless, brutal and strict. Stood firmly for his values and believe he should bring his son up the same way.
-The mother was sick and tired of her daughter's never ending fantasy, and tries to show her the reality.
-The daughter in my own theory was traumatised and could no longer tell the difference between imagination and reality. Triggering events maybe her mother having a baby and later died giving birth.
-The doctor did not agree with the views of the father but instead leaned more towards the men in the woods, leading to hin helping them. Because of the betrayal he was murdered by the father.
-The men in the woods stood firmly on their beliefs, rather similar to the father and were almost portrayed as heros.

Would you recommend this to other users? Absolutely.
The movie have awsome cinematography. Characters are awsome.
I personally like dark settings and engaging plots.
Very engaging beggining, almost a shock.
I really like a violent film but this film's torture sequence actually made me see the humanity within myself.
Ending can be interpreted in several ways.
1. Lunacies?
2. Fantasies?
3. Spiritual ascension?

A very fun watch worth savouring.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐