💬 Review Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,249 happy users since 2014.
Register

Anthea

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Pan's Labyrinth is a 2006 Spanish dark fantasy drama film written and directed by Guillermo Del Toro. It is set in the year of 1944 during the Francoist period and follows the fantastical journey of a girl named Ofelia.

Review:
I love this movie. It is beautiful, a perfect combination of dark and optimistic. This is one of those movies that after watching, you need to take a few minutes to return to your own world because you got swept up and lost in the story. The movie is without a doubt, predominantly fantasy. But it is expertly mixed with a copius amount of reality, making the dissonance significant.

Our main character, Ofelia moves in with her new stepfather along with her pregnant mother at the start of the movie. Her stepfather is a captain in the army who is tasked with hunting down rebels. Here she discovers an abandoned labyrinth that leads her through a portal to a fantastical world and meets the creatures that resides there. The movie follows her in the real world as she struggles with the new changes and people in her life, as well as her journey in the labyrinth. The sub-plots in the movie are also brilliantly written and lend themselves to the general tension of the film.

Now the cool features. The score of the film is mesmerizing and completely succeeds in their job of blending in to make you feel the right emotions at the right time without taking away attention from the story. I personally didn't even notice there were music in the film the first time I watched it. It was also nominated for Oscars if that helps. And the creature design! If nothing else, the movie is worth watching just to experience the different creatures and their subtle portrayal of their real-world counterparts. The characters are well-written, the acting is immersive, the plot is unique in its portrayal, overall the movie is amazing.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes. Absolutely. It's a Del Toro production, that alone should be enough to make you go watch it. As much as I want to say children can see this too since it has a child protagonist and fantasy elements, there are some really strong scenes that will haunt you. I myself have some permanently burned into my brain. So, I will recommend this for 15+ age group. It is most decidedly a dark fantasy film with horror elements in it, so watch at your own risk.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: