💬 Review Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,540 happy users since 2014.
Register

Blanca1607

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife”

Pride and Prejudice is a beautiful classic novel written by Jane Austen, which shows the habits and manners of the high society back in the Georgian era (1714-1837) from the viewpoint of Elizabeth Bennet.

Review:
Lizzy is a smart young upper class girl who likes analysing the behaviour of human beings and deciphering the reasons behind their actions, but she´ll discover that not even her instincts are enough to judge a person after meeting Mr.Darcy.
The story begins when her family is invited to a ball held in the neighbourhood, where they greet the new landlord of Netherfield Park and his companions. Mr.Darcy is among them, a handsome aristocrat whose character is quickly considered to be proud and disageeable. Lizzy starts to dislike him, particularly when she is described as "not tempting enough" by the nobleman when his friend, Mr.Bingley, tries to press him to join the dance. From that moment, many events will conspire to make Lizzy and Mr.Darcy run into each other in different situations, with one of them feeding her hate and vanity, believing in false rumours, and the other falling in love but condemning her origin and inferiority.
All this is eventually revealed at some point in the story. Nevertheless, both of them get something unexpected: Lizzy will learn the truth about this man and his actions, feeling regret for what has been said, and Mr.Darcy will receive a lesson in humility and manners that will make him fall even harder for her.

Would you recommend this to other users? I was captivated by the exceptional use of irony and comedy that Jane Austen employs in this novel; it made me turn the pages without noticing I was doing so. I also found it interesting how difficult it was to enter into and understand the courtly games in a time when women were just meant to get married to a man with a large fortune. All the characters are well- rounded and one can see their evolution throughout the novel. In my opinion, this is a book everyone should read at least once, very proto- feminist and intelligent too; a definite ten!

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ch90ch91

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 4 years
Quite detailed and informative review.
Thanks

Bigbear1972

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Not my cup of tea but my daughter read it and used it for her English exams. She said it was more aimed at a female reader.

Lopezjl52

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Read it. It’s a classic and a “must read,”

audriisaurus

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Thanks for this review! Been wanting to pick it up for a while now and your review solidified it!