Recording gameplay question(s)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,523 happy users since 2014.
Register

Sara1212

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Lately I've been thinking about recording a few games on here for the cash and the experience. The games I wanted to do are all android cyoa/cog ones, but I have a couple of questions about doing it (and don't know where to ask them):

Do I need to narrate and/or read every page of the games (cyoas are very wordy)? Does it matter if the audio is a little fuzzy from a phone screen recording? Or can i just stay on the page for a few seconds/mins so people can pause and read it?

Do I need to play a popular route or can I just play it like I usually do?

Mark A

˜”*1̴̸̷̶̵̧̛̛̪͍̖̦̣̜̠̯̰̻̫̪̰̞̙̎̀̊̑̏́͛̂͐͋̋̈́̊̿̕͝͝͠ͅ *”˜
Member for 6 years
Good day,
Really good questions.

Personally, I think that the video(s) should showcase the mod.
For example, if the mod said boosted stats then you should show the stats, showing gameplay won't hurt, but personally I don't like spoilers. LOL

In terms of audio, It's up to you really.
No commentary with background music or gameplay with commentary; What are you comfortable making?

Since CYOA/COG players (like myself) are used to reading (and loves reading), you could simply add a piece of calm background music and let *us* read for ourselves.

Now, these are my personal point-of-views and opinions.
Hope this helps.
-Mark A

Gourov

Dimitri Petrenko
✌️ Community Team
Member for 5 years
I am talking about all kinds of games. I always try to show the mod features and how to obtain them (Like LP mod). And also show the Installation process if it's bit complicated. Then I play for sometimes or some level. Just like I play games usually no commentary or anything. But I always do little editing. Like adding music or little fast forward if the gameplay is slow. My tips is it's you gameplay do as you like. There is no rules or restrictions on recording but your video length must be 5min +. And yeah if you want to add music , use No copyright musics 😅
Well it's my opinion overall . Hope it helps :)

Obber

✨Random User✨
Member for 5 years
@Sara1212 it really depends on what kind of video you should make, be it commentated, narrated or basically none. Think of the person’s point of view, some of them wanted narrated or commentary videos and some doesn’t even liked it because it’s annoying. So yeah... if you add a little bit of edit like @Gourov said and mine is kinda different (because I don’t do these CYOA/COG), it can be satisfying or tempting to watch more videos. Oh! you should choose a route of what will a human would do kinda thing... like what would a normal human being would do to choose in any kind of a situation.

as long as it is 5mins+ long with a little bit of editing, you should be fine. As for me though..😅😅 i am really picky of choosing games to record and i need to get back into it or i’ll get stuck on making Nutshell videos. LOL

Last edited:

Gourov

Dimitri Petrenko
✌️ Community Team
Member for 5 years
@Sara1212 it really depends on what kind of video you should make, be it commentated, narrated or basically none. Think of the person’s point of view, some of them wanted narrated or commentary videos and some doesn’t even liked it because it’s annoying. So yeah... if you add a little bit of edit like @Gourov said and mine is kinda different (because I don’t do these CYOA/COG), it can be satisfying or tempting to watch more videos. Oh! you should choose a route of what will a human would do kinda thing... like what would a normal human being would do to choose in any kind of a situation.

as long as it is 5mins+ long with a little bit of editing, you should be fine. As for me though..😅😅 i am really picky of choosing games to record and i need to get back into it or i’ll get stuck on making Nutshell videos. LOL
Lol @Obber you don't get latters from your secret admirer about your videos. I mean they are great 😍

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
Heya,

My name is Cordelia Cross and I am a member of the staff here :D.

You asked some really good questions and I'd like to take a quick moment to address them one at a time.

Do I need to narrate and/or read every page of the games (cyoas are very wordy)?

Typically when it comes to COG showcases, the ones that get the best feedback are the ones with a bit of a soundtrack to the background vs ones with narration. As @Mark A mentioned, the ones that focus on the features of the mod and then take a moment to slowly allow the reader to enjoy reading the page for themself are the ones that people look out for when it comes to CYOA games.

Does it matter if the audio is a little fuzzy from a phone screen recording?

It is alright if it is a little fuzzy, but typically it is better if the audio is a bit clearer and crisper so that it isn't too distracting from the video. @Gourov made a very good point about editing a bit if possible. Sometimes if the audio is too fuzzy it may be better to strip the audio from your clip and add a bit of music :D.

Or can i just stay on the page for a few seconds/mins so people can pause and read it?

If you are recording a text-based novel game, it is usually a bit better to pause and let the viewer read the page unless you have a really good quality microphone. If it is too hard to hear what you are saying, viewers may choose to switch to a different video released by someone else because they may feel that they are missing something important.

Do I need to play a popular route or can I just play it like I usually do?

This one sort of depends on your preference. If you are looking to try and gain more viewers and become a popular creator, you may wish to go with a more popular or general route like @Obber Mentioned. however, if you are looking to showcase YOUR favorite routes and get more personal enjoyment out of the game while sharing your experience, it may be better to record the game as you play normally. It is totally up to you!

I hope this helps! and if you have any other questions please feel free to reply to this thread :D

Sara1212

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Thank y'all for all the helpful answers! I think I'll just edit in some background music since my phone is a bit wonky audio wise.

Do y'all have any suggestions for what to use to record the screen? I've been looking into that and easier editing options but the amount of apps is overwhelming.

Mark A

˜”*1̴̸̷̶̵̧̛̛̪͍̖̦̣̜̠̯̰̻̫̪̰̞̙̎̀̊̑̏́͛̂͐͋̋̈́̊̿̕͝͝͠ͅ *”˜
Member for 6 years
I'll let @Gourov and @Obber suggest an app since they have more experience at it.

Sidenote:
Google play store got a screen recorder, while most (if not all) screen recorder apps require at least Android 5.

I only did a tiny bit of research on it; I too wanted to record gameplay and earn SB Points but time is almost never kind towards me.

Best of luck with your gameplay/mod showcase videos and have fun :)

Edit:
Spelling checked.
Punctuation marks checked.
Grammar checked.

Last edited:

Gourov

Dimitri Petrenko
✌️ Community Team
Member for 5 years
Thank y'all for all the helpful answers! I think I'll just edit in some background music since my phone is a bit wonky audio wise.

Do y'all have any suggestions for what to use to record the screen? I've been looking into that and easier editing options but the amount of apps is overwhelming.
I am also that experienced but I do it on my mobile. I use InShot and DU recorder. But after that DO Global Scandal you might not trust DU recorder so I suggest go for Fonix recorder (same as Du recorder). Hope it helps 😊 and maybe @Obber has better tools.

Obber

✨Random User✨
Member for 5 years

Hmm.. what about Mobizen?
5C9D548E-8DB2-439E-BBB8-012F6DC2B655.png

It offers you free watermark removal with clean recording mode. It also had an editor too, but it sucks and limited(if you had a long music audio maybe you can put it there).
4F94F46B-7061-4989-A3B2-0BBED69B6FB3.jpeg

As for editing..(or adding background music) use InShot like @Gourov said and remove the watermarks by using the free ad one! The viewers doesn’t like watermarks(some don’t mind it) in the videos because of how annoying and painful to their eyes.
8480248E-A629-4EAF-B2C1-29968BA02186.jpeg

Do some research to understand them and how they work. Also, @Mark A said that there is a screen recorder on google play games, i did some research about it and found nothing about watermarks and no ads as well, but still do some research about it. @Sara1212

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
Hello :)

I am closing this question and moving it to Answered Questions as this question has been resolved. If you have any other questions please post them in our Questions Area.

Thank you!