Same question, different market

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,874 happy users since 2014.
Register

Morpheus

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 8 years
Hi fellow forum-dwellers,

I've been looking for a good mid-range Android tablet but I can't seem to find one that I like. The Nvidia Shield K1 seemed nice, but as I understood it's been discontinued and I can't find them for purchase anywhere anymore. At least not at the normal price of €199. I can find them for €400 but I don't want to spend that much.

A few months ago I bought an Onda v891w V1 in China. It seemed like a nice tablet, dual OS, Android 5 and Windows 10. Unfortunately I ended up bricking it when trying to root it. It's only use now is as a coaster. With its 8.9" screen, it can hold at least 2 drinks :D

I'm basically looking for an Android tablet with minimal full HD resolution (1920x1080p), a good battery life and suitable for gaming. And it has to be sturdy, cause I've got 2 little rugrats running around who have a fondness for phones and tablets :) Something that can take a hit, or has a sturdy cover available would be nice. I'm thinking 8" or more. And it has to be rootable, so we can play modded games and have fun with GameGuardian. Preferably around €200.

I know the Nvidia Shield K1 was the tablet of choice in this price range, but it's getting near impossible to find anymore. So what are the worthwhile options in today's market?

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
This is the only one I found, close to your needs with that budget: Asus Zenpad Z580C B1 BK

8 Inches, very high resolution, 2gb of RAM, dual camera and 1.3ghz quad core processor.

Hope it helps!

Morpheus

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 8 years
Yep, that's the one I also found. And the Lenovo Tab2 A10-70F. I'll see if I can find rooting info for the Asus, that may be my next tablet.

Of course, if anyone knows how to flash a working ROM on an Onda v891w v1, I'd be very interested. Mine's stuck on the Onda logo screen, it doesn't move beyond that and I can't seem to get into the BIOS. I can however boot it in Recovery Mode and DNX mode, but I've got no ROM or Update to sideload or flash. There seems to be very little support for Onda outside of China.

Top Smartphone Reviews of the Month