Samsung Galaxy S10e Recovery Project

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,724 happy users since 2014.
Register

Ferz

Hardcore Lv9️⃣
VIP
Member for 7 years
1598640763079.png

PREAMBLE :

When TWRP first appeared for the S10 range of devices, it quickly became clear that there were some major issues with the initial builds.

Many users were understandably frustrated at losing the ability to boot their device after shutting it down, and at being unable to update Magisk after installing TWRP.

A number of users took to contacting me privately for support. I answered their questions and even shared fixed images in a few cases, but the number of support requests was rising daily and I could not keep pace with the demand.

Given that the poster of the original images (Geiti94) was evidently unable to offer fixed TWRP images in a timely fashion, I ultimately took the liberty of doing so myself in a posting to the original TWRP thread as a service to the community.

Whilst this served to relieve the immediate pressure, the ongoing need to fix bugs and make further enhancements to the software made a fork of the original project inevitable, so I have taken the step of promoting it to its own DevDB project and thread here on XDA.

Credit goes to Geiti94 for conducting the time-consuming initial legwork and releasing the original builds. His is the foundation on which this work now builds. This fork in no way implies any disrespect to him, but does strong.

Samsung system-as-root devices
All new devices launched with Android 9 are required to be factory-configured as system-as-root devices. The ramdisk image formerly found in boot.img is now merged with system.img.

For Samsung devices such as the Galaxy S10 series, this means that boot.img can no longer be used to root the device. Instead, Magisk is installed to the recovery partition and the user must subsequently always boot from that partition, regardless of whether TWRP or Android is desired. The device's hardware keys are used at boot time to select between Magisk-rooted Android and TWRP.

This configuration dictates that TWRP and Android share a common recovery kernel. However, because TWRP cannot function with a stock kernel, a modified kernel must be compiled from Samsung's source code. Unfortunately, this kernel is sensitive to changes in Samsung's firmware releases from one month to the next, meaning that problems can arise if a given kernel is used with firmware newer than the version the kernel was intended for.

This unfortunate situation necessitates semi-regular maintenance releases of TWRP to keep the kernel in step with the latest version of the S10 series firmware. This requirement is further complicated by the fact that any given release of Samsung's modified kernel source code typically trails the associated firmware release by anything from a few days to a few weeks.

TWRP without Magisk
If your device is currently still unrooted and running stock firmware, you are strongly advised not to proceed with installing TWRP. First root your device with Magisk, using John Wu's excellent Samsung system-as-root-instructions for patching the firmware's AP file. Only when you have completed that procedure should you return here and continue from the Image Preparation section.

If you insist on proceeding with installing TWRP to a stock device without Magisk, you will need — at a minimum — to flash a vbmeta.img with verity disabled or you will render your device unable to boot. You can construct such an image using the following command:

Code:
$ avbtool make_vbmeta_image --out vbmeta.img
Alternatively, if you don't have a copy of avbtool at hand, the following piece of shell code will do the trick on the device itself:

Code:
h=$(printf '4156423%08d1%0240d617662746f6f6c20312e312e3%0230d')
d=''
i=0
while [ $i -lt ${#h} ]; do
d="$dx${h:$i:2}"
i=$((i+2))
done
printf "$d" > vbmeta.img
Next, flash this to the vbmeta partition, using either Heimdall or Odin.

Code:
# heimdall flash --VBMETA vbmeta.img
You may then proceed with installing TWRP according to the instructions below.

Image preparation
In contrast to the original Geit94 release, these and subsequent TWRP images will not be supplied pre-rooted with Magisk. Whilst it would be trivial to offer them in this format, this kind of binary distribution of Magisk is against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu.

To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. Provide your freshly downloaded TWRP image file as the input.

Installation
You are now ready to flash the resulting magisk_patched.img image file to your device's recovery partition.

One quick and easy way to do this on an already rooted device is from a root shell:

Code:
# f=/storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched.img; dd if=$f of=/dev/block/sda15 bs=$(stat -c%s $f)
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
61734912 bytes transferred in 0.426 secs (144917633 bytes/sec)
If TWRP is already installed and you are merely updating it, you may, of course, use TWRP itself to flash the new version.

If the device is not yet rooted (or even if it is), you may use Odin in Windows, but you will need to rename and tar the image first. Otherwise, Odin will not understand what to do with the image.

For example:

Code:
$ mv twrp-beyond[012]lte.img recovery.img
$ tar cf twrp-beyond[012]lte.img.tar recovery.img
And if rebooting to Windows is too disruptive, there's always Heimdall:

Code:
$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-beyond[012]lte.img

DOWNLOAD :
The latest unofficial local builds currently available are:

Android 10

Android 9

The latest official builds are available from the official TWRP site. Note that there is no official build for beyondx (G977B), because officially supported status has not been sought.

Unless you have a very particular requirement, you are advised to use the unofficial builds for reasons discussed under Frequently Asked Questions below.

These builds are based on the latest version of TWRP and include a kernel compiled from Samsung's latest available source code. The kernel runs in SELinux enforcing mode and its configuration has intentionally been kept as close to stock as possible in order to provide maximum compatibility with both Android and TWRP.

The builds have been well-tested and are known to work as intended on supported firmware versions. See posting #2 of this thread for details of which TWRP builds work with which versions of Samsung's firmware.

If you later find yourself running on updated firmware that is incompatible with this kernel, you have the option of flashing and rebooting to TWRP on demand. When you are finished in TWRP, you can replace your recovery image with Magisk-rooted stock recovery and reboot back to Android.

If installing TWRP on your device for the first time or reinstalling it following a firmware upgrade, do not forget to disable file-based encryption (FBE) immediately after flashing TWRP or you won't be able to read files on /data in TWRP. To achieve this (and to protect yourself against various anti-root protection mechanisms that Samsung have booby-trapped the device with), flash the latest version of the multidisabler as soon as you have installed TWRP.

Device firmware updates
When it comes time to update your device's firmware, please follow John Wu's excellent instructions for patching the firmware's AP file. Do not skip any of the steps.

Next, use Odin to flash the patched AP file, together with the stock BL, CP and HOME_CSC files. Never leave the CSC slot empty when flashing an AP file, or your /data partition may be shrunk and your data damaged during the flash.

When finished, immediately reboot back to download mode and reflash your Magisk-patched TWRP image. Alternatively, you may replace recovery.img in the patched AP file with your rooted TWRP image, thereby avoiding the need to separately reflash TWRP afterwards:

Code:
$ tar f magisk_patched_twrp.tar --delete recovery.img && tar rf magisk_patched_twrp.tar recovery.img
Lastly, boot to TWRP and reflash the latest version of the multidisabler. Note that your first boot to TWRP after installing new firmware may just run a post-installation recovery script that wipes /cache, so you may need to trap the automatic reboot that follows and boot to TWRP a second time.

Do not skip rerunning the multidisabler, as flashing new firmware will have re-enabled critical security features that you must now re-disable.

Links:
Version Information
Stable
Current Stable Version: 3.4.0-2_ianmacd
Stable Release Date: 2020-08-14

Credits to : Ianmacd