💬 Review Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,342 happy users since 2014.
Register

Anthea

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Shaun of the Dead is a horror comedy film directed by Edgar Wright, co-written by Wright and Simon Pegg. It starrs Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and is the first film of the Cornetto trilogy that Wright, Pegg and Frost worked together on.

Review:
This is a zombie movie that is funny. There, that's all you need to know.

I'm kidding, I'll explain more. The movie tells the story of Shaun, played by Simon Pegg, who works a dead-end job and lives with his friend Pete and his best friend Ed, played by Nick Frost. We also have Shaun's girlfriend Liz and her housemates Dianne and David. It starts out slow, introducing us to the characters and their lifestyle but the humor is always there with the fast dialogues. The acting is phenomenal and the writing and their delivery is so delightfully British. This is not an action movie, no jump-out-your-seat-excited moments. Rather, this is a movie of quiet enjoyment that is more focused on the people rather than the world at large. The characters are relatable in ways you don't expect and the small details added in every scene makes it enjoyable for repeated viewing. The horror is really minimal, so I recommend not watching it as a horror movie.

Now my personal thoughts. When I saw this film, I actually had no idea it was a zombie movie so when that part came around, I was actually taken off-guard. It was really fun going back to see the wonderfully written scenes and clues that foreshadow that development. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are individually very funny people, but together they are an absolute riot. This was the fist project of them together that I saw and I absolutely fell in love. The movie does a lot of things right and a lot of those things work because of the main two actors. The secondary characters, some I don't wanna talk about because it's fun to know them yourselves, are simultaneously one-dimensional and nuanced, and I mean that in a good way.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes. This movie is also a prime example of British comedy. If you enjoy that, I recommend it all the more. The horror is minimal, so people who doesn't want to deal with being scared, this is for you. It's also suitable for all age groups, so a family viewing is perfectly fine. It is a must-watch for fans of the two main actors.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: