💬 Review Shoplifters (2018)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,544 happy users since 2014.
Register

TheKingOfLimbo

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Shoplifters (2018)

On the margins of Tokyo, a dysfunctional band of outsiders is united by fierce loyalty and a penchant for petty theft.

Review:
Shoplifters (2018)

A subtle, strong, and powerful film.

Story:

There are three things I loved about the film, and both are as follows; they didn't require explosions, loud music, and intense scenes (generally speaking) in order to convey the powerful storytelling. Somehow, even with just simple scenes and simple dialogues, they were explicitly detailed and very very subtle. The last thing was that it was realistic. We need more realism in films.

I appreciated how they let the viewers figure things out along the way, and just as you think you've got it figured out - they will surprise you even more.

This film was quiet. It didn't have big explosions (basically not like those usual con movies) or heavy thrillers/suspense (not like Parasite) but it was its own suspense. I really can't put my mind on the right words, but I think you get the point.

Detailed. Somehow, they can put a lot of messages without actually hitting us on the face - meaning they were subtle, and not blatant.

It was grounded in reality, and it was very poignant. Personally, it affected me much more than I anticipated. The acting is also top-notch.

I loved the story, it was… real.

And boy were the characters complex! They really managed to fletch out the characters, and not make it into one big stereotypical one. They were really genuine.

Music:

This film didn't have loud music, but on the times that it did have mellow (to tranquil,) it was piercing.

I loved how they managed to make people feel the movie, without using too much music; they just relied on masterful storytelling and great acting.

Visuals:

To be perfectly honest, I didn't pay too much attention to the visuals, cinematography, and color grading and all that - I was just captured by the film. But that doesn't mean that I couldn't see it - it was still a very beautiful film.

[SPOILER WARNING! From this point on, there will be spoilers]
It was one of those films that were so damn gut-wrenching. When it was nearly on the ending, I just keep thinking that "Please, I hope Yuri/Juri/Lin gets in a better place, not those sonsofbtches who hurt her"

When you think of the title 'Shoplifters' somehow you will think of it as really sad and desperate, but I really appreciated that somehow, it made them connect and made them stronger.

This film may or may not made me tear up, but it was just strong for me. The part on the bus where Shota just mumbled 'dad' was… heartbreaking. Yuri's ending was also really reallllly sad.

I really really really loved the acting. The last 30 minutes was just pure storytelling and great acting. The scene with the police interrogation was truly something else. Where everything (well almost everything) was slowly being revealed. We can see their emotions and conflicts. And also the part where the woman was in prison and she decided to tell Shota about his origins. I loved the conflict of emotions of each character.
[END OF SPOILERS]
Don't expect a heavy action sequence, or some intense con movie - it's just quiet and mellow (ish.) A very strong film. It's very strong in its own way.

5/5

PS. Don't search it on Google, don't even watch the trailer - it has a lot of spoilers. Go in blind, and just watch it for yourself.

Would you recommend this to other users? Of course. This was a very poignant film.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐