💬 Review Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,655 happy users since 2014.
Register

Chelseaskye06

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Centering on the infamous firebombing of Dresden, Billy Pilgrim's odyssey through time reflects the mythic journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning in what we fear most.

Review:
It took me a bit to wrap my head around this book once I finished reading it. In some ways, it doesn’t feel very Vonnegut-y, and in others it’s the most Vonnegut-y thing I’ve read so far. “The best anti-war book of all time” got bandied about a lot when folx were recommending it to me, but in my opinion that doesn’t really fit. It’s definitely a sad book that is tragically too much based on his own experience with a bit of his whimsy thrown in because, well, it’s his thing.

At its heart, the story is about time and memory. Vonnegut uses his characteristically simple, yet powerful, voice to describe the way our perspectives color and shape every experience we have. He explores how difficult communication becomes when people have differing experiences. And, as someone who has serious memory damage, it made me feel less alone when considering how difficult it can be to see the overarching spans of experience and how lovely that can leave you. Some things have to be done together, and others have to be done alone. So it goes.

Would you recommend this to other users? Absolutely. Everyone should get to form their own opinion on this book.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Niara89

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 3 years
Just. Amazing. Definitely. Recommend

loonix7

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
I read this book a while back and it was a fun read! It took me a moment to get used to the nonlinear timeline but once you do, you can see that it makes sense with the as crazy plot lol. I definitely would recommend the book too. It's a classic!