💬 Review Spellslinger

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,635 happy users since 2014.
Register

D sam

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Spellslinger

A magical adventure genre story with a little bit of extra focus to the plot building of the series as a whole. A good one time read, at least for me

Review:
The following review does contain light spoilers, so read further if you want to. Imagine you live in a magical world, where magic can do anything, conjure any problems and magic has a solution to it. You can perform as a prodigy at a young age but slowly as you grow it slips from your fingers, what remains is just the knowledge of what you could do and a future of servitude to those with magic.

Thats the case for Kellen. For him, the mage trials before sixteen seems impossible and that simply means he, a son of a major clan house, will go to be a normal man without magic. And the prospect is not that great, the Sha'tap or non magical people face a harsh life with just being labours, over the years the laws made against them have oppressed them and left them with no choice but to comply to the whins of mages and live in slums.

Kellen can't go there, he needs and wants to live a more better life. He tries every method and this story, is all about the events starting from his first mage trial. The story has a definite and a nice paced plot with the events unfolding around Kellen accurately. The twists and turns are intriguing in the least. Thay mix coherently with the plot and makes it all the moee real.

While the general outline of the story is nice, where it falls short is the characterization. Although the protagonist, Kellen has a working personality, the other characters, especially his mother and father feel flat to me. The way are potrayed through the event make tgem irredeemable and if he ever decides to forgive his family, I don't think I will be able to make sense of that. In addition, the dialogues and writing failed to make me feel for Kellen.

You can simply tell from the summary he is going to suffer, yet the writing focused more on the event side, there was no mention of any emotion within him as a reactio in the scenes. No bitterness, resentment, hate, even happiness. He felt absolutely nothing

In short, it has quite a setting for the future books, it has overall a nice mystery to it and opens up a world new possibilities. I think a m going to read the next one.

Would you recommend this to other users? It is mostly for younger audience in my opinion because of the overall look of it. But I don't know, some might find it good for them. Worth a read I'd say

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐