💬 Review Spirited Away

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,102 happy users since 2014.
Register

MoonLily

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Spirited Away

"Spirited Away" is a wonderful and fascinating story directed by Hayao Mizayaki and produced by the famous Studio Ghibli known also for "My neighbor Totoro" or "Howls Moving Castle" about a girl who accidentally entered the world of spirits and gods. After her parents got turned into animals and got trapped inside the foreign and weird world, the girl, Chihiro, has to go on a dangerous journey on her own and find a way not only to survive, but also to help her parents and escape back into the land of humans.

Review:
As stated above, the movie is about a young girl named Chihiro who got trapped inside the crazy and colorful but also dangerous world of various spirits and gods.
I have actually a very big sentiment towards "Spirited Away" because I used to watch it when I was a small child together with my father. I still remember as clear as day the first time I watched the movie and became instantly mesmerised with how colorful and dynamic it is, and the story alone is something that more than once, even now as an adult, brought me to tears.
As maybe some of you know, Studio Ghibli has produced many wonderful animated movies and it's known for it's unique style, and "Spirited Away" is certainly one of their iconic, if not the MOST iconic movie!
The story begins with a scene where we see that Chihiro and her family moving to a new town, and while the parents are uplifted and in a wonderful mood, on the other hand the girl is grumpy and sad that she had to leave all her friends behind. In a flurry of movement, we see that the family on the way to their new home got lost and are now standing in front of a strange tunnel. The family reluctantly enters the tunnel to check it out, but what they don't know yet, is that they accidentally entered the mysterious world of spirits and gods alike!
After her parents consumed food from a restaurant which was strictly forbidden for humans, who the inhabitants of the spirit realm resented, they were turned into pigs, and little Chihiro got trapped all by herself in a completely foreign place with no one to help her, her main goal being turning her parents back into humans and getting as quickly as possible out of the strange domain.

For me, "Spirited Away" is a multi-dimensional story and will always be very close and dear to me. Not only does it show the struggles of a child pushed into a situation which for a first look couldn't end well, but it also shows how far and to what lengths someone could go for, if only to rescue someone dear to them. It's a story of love, determination and dedication in the form of a 10 year old child, which is a phenomenon in itself, as usually as the main hero we see a matured adult character, not a child.
Another important element I'd like to mention, is how Mizayaki portrayed various faults in humans and in Japan itself. Through the spirits and workers we see in the bathhouse, the main thing we notice is the greed and gluttony almost everyone of them possesses. We see it not only in the way the gods in the bathhouse behave, but also a very prominent show of it we have in the scenes where No Face is throwing gold at the greedy workers for exchange for tons of food which he immediately devours whole.
As for Japan, Mizayaki ruthlessly has shown the state of ecology in the country. It's stated as clear as day through the River God who was mistakenly thought to be the "Stink God" the tragic state of water bodies in Japan, which are heavily polluted and unable to live in.

Would you recommend this to other users? In my opinion, "Spirited Away" is a masterpiece and a absolute must-see. It's a beautifully written and filmed story with a colorful and interesting plot. It's not only a "pretty animated film", but also a deep one that raises many issues in our world and maybe it can even have you slow down for a minute and think. I highly recommend it not only for kids, but also for the older audience, and I promise you that you won't be disapointed!

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐