💬 Review Star Traders 1

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,982 happy users since 2014.
Register

CatGrrrl

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the Content you are reviewing: Star Traders 1

hqdefault.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.corytrese.games.startraders

Freeroaming, yet small, epic space game. You get a ship and your released upon 90s large sector of space to do as you please. Pirate, trade, bounty hunt, yada yada yada; you know the deal if you've played a freeroaming space game.

Review:
So let me preface this a bit. Star Traders is a game by the Trese Brothers. They recentlt released the second game and its a huuuge improvement. However this review will be based on their original game.

Upon first inspection, it may turn a lot of people away from it. To be blunt, the game is ugly. Like, hand drawn by someone who was just starting to learn how to draw. The sad part is it's not an exaggeration, albeit this game's graphics is better than a few of the other games they released around this one by the Trese Brothers.

GRAPHICS: BUT, as they say, gameplay is more important than graphics. While I prefer the game's I play to be at least a little aesthetically pleasing; I'm able to overlook for this game to a point.

SOUND: As stated above, the game is sorely lacking in both the audio and visual aspects.

GAMEPLAY: So alright, it seems like I don't have many good things to say about this game. But hold it! While the game is visually horrific (and not in the scary way); it's incredibly apparent the Trese Bros spent the majority of their time on the game itself.

Really quick let me explain, the fighting is simple. You can approach or retreat on a 2D plane; only being able to move horizontally. How far you get per movement depends on your ships speed. Other option are shoot, of course, and board. If you played any pirate sim games, you'll know how it works. For the rest of you landlubbers, the game counts your crew size vs the enemies. You click board again until the other crew is defeated or yours are. Once thats done and you win, you can keep it, scrap it, or just loot and let them go. Or not loot but that'd be a waste of possible crew members and supplies.

There are various factions in the game. Split in half, one side are more tribal and family based whereas the other half are corporations.

You will start out selecting your class, ship (once you unlock them), Icon, and your starting faction. Thankfully the freedom in this game is pretty open as you can go ahead and start working for a different faction than your starting one.

The factions are dynamic and will start wars, enact trade agreements and embargoes. Ally with eachother and so on. This leads me to MY BIGGEST GRIPE though on the game and its a consistant trait in the Trese Bros other openworld games. It kind of ruined my enjoyment and immersion; despite the faction's AI being able to declare 4 or 5 different types of wars (Blockade, trade embargo, spy wars, assassin wars, and all out wars) THE PLANETS WILL NOT CHANGE FACTIONS regardless of what you or the AI does. This killed the vibe for me completely.

However, that doesn't mean this is a bunk game. The early and mid game is fun and exciting as you work your way up military ranks or whatever. But once you hit a certain point near late midgame, you will just steamroll everything and it becomes a stale game where it feels like I'm just fist fighting children for their candy.

Other things you can do; take advantage of the victims from various disasters by buying essential supplies for low prices and selling high to starving/sick/dying/etc people, collect bounties on mean people who steal, be the mean people who steal, join a faction and progress through the ranks of its military to unlock newer and better ships, explore planets and sacrifice your crew as they are melted into puddles, crushed by a rockslides, get eaten by giant sand worms, and more; just for treasure! As well as hiring ship officers who'll buff you and that are found around the map.

Finally, the other mechanics in the game are solid. First off, your ship is upgradable with a plethora of options depending on what planet your on. Each upgrade adding but also taking away in return. Secondly, what you do will always effect your rep with other factions so check to see who hates who before you accept missions if you're worried. Even trading isn't safe from the pride of fools!

TL;DR Bad graphics, little to no sound, but a fun as hell open world space "sim" where you can do what you want if it includes a spaceship.

Would you recommend this to other users? Most definitely. Its free, or cheap, and you'll get your money's worth before you get bored.

Thanks for reading my review! Feel free to comment and critique! Happy trails

:winkdroid:

Last edited: