💬 Review Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,753 happy users since 2014.
Register

unusualsuspex

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope

Prequel to the TV series. Star Trek: Picard.

Review:
“Fifteen years ago…you led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history. Then...the unimaginable. What did that cost you? Your faith. Your faith in us. Your faith in yourself. Tell us, why did you leave Starfleet, Admiral?”

And THAT is precisely what this novel tells. If you've watched STAR TREK PICARD, there are many events alluded to but not shown and this is where Una McCormack's novel begins. What was Picard doing after becoming Admiral? What forced him to resign? What were to be the repercussions?

But beyond that, what really happened on Mars? What was happening on Romulus when the discovery was made about the threatening supernova that would destroy the Romulan homeworld and many of their colonies.

Even if you haven't watched (or don't intend to watch) ST PICARD, I can thoroughly recommend this novel as a Star Trek addition, or even a straight SF read. If you have watched the series, then this novel will expand your knowledge of the preceding events and empathy for the characters involved.

One thing I would say is that, unlike any other Trek novel, there is a level of profanity in here that you might not be expecting. Understandably, in previous incarnations that were aimed at a broader audience, there was no profanity whatsoever apart from perhaps a "merde" from Picard. My personal feeling is that the F word is used precisely where I would expect it to be given the circumstances, so it is not to my mind gratuitous. Some people who I've spoken to felt it drew them "out of the story". To me, it suited the new, gritty reality that PICARD portrays.

Finally, Una McCormack. She knows how to tell a Trek story. She knows how to portray the characters she uses and bring them to life. In other words, she's a damn fine Trek writer.

All in all, this book is a MUST read for any Star Trek fan, but especially if you want to expand on the Picard storyline.

Would you recommend this to other users? A definite recommendation from me!!

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

DrFool

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Awesome review! The book is worth reading if you're a star trek fan, also a good intro into the franchise.
I would recommend.