💬 Review Stories: Love and Choices

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,215 happy users since 2014.
Register

kayforaday

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Stories: Love and Choices

Indulge yourself in abundant stories and write stories of yourself!
You can find every type of books you ever imagined—scientific fictions, romantic stories, mystery novels and legendary tales...
In each different story, you’ll get the chance to make choices all by yourself and decide your own fate.

Review:
This app is still in Early Access, but it already has a surprising amount of content. There are currently 6 active stories, all of which have between 5-10 released chapters, and chapters are a good size length. New chapters are added regularly.

FORMAT: The basic format is the same as all games in the Choices: Stories You Play genre -- you get two tickets at a time, and each ticket recharges in 2 hours, which is faster than most games in this genre. The first chapter of each story is free to access, and then you need a ticket for each subsequent chapter. The stories are mostly romantic in nature, and you have frequent dialogue options for the player's character. A few times per chapter there are "premium" choices, which may include outfits for your character or special romantic scenes.

Each chapter you complete rewards you with 2 diamonds, the premium currency, and occasionally you can watch a video to gain an extra diamond. There's also a feature to watch ad videos to get an extra diamond -- I was able to watch 5. There's also a daily login gift for seven days that gives you a total of 75 diamonds and 3 extra tickets. Most premium choices cost between 15-20 diamonds.

CONTENT: All of the existing stories have female leads and seem to have male romantic interests, usually 2. There doesn't seem to be any LGBT content at the moment and there is no option to play a male character. You can customize the name and appearance of the female lead (skin/face/hair/clothing), but no other characters.

Most stories aren't exactly ground-breaking -- "I work for a vampire," "I didn't know I was a mermaid," "Medieval village girl discovers she has magic," etc, but original stories are close to impossible these days. The important part is what you do with it, right? The stories seem engaging and interesting, and -- notably -- the writing is very natural. In my experience, many games attempting to capitalize on the success of Choices have very stilted or bland dialogue, but I thought that the writing in Stories: Love and Choices was well-written and engaging. Some of the quips between characters made me actually laugh, which isn't something I can say about most games.

The art style is pretty good and the characters are usually displayed almost full body, to the knees. The character models are animated for breathing, fidgeting and other reactions, and emoting. A few cutscenes are even more animated for dramatic moments or new character reveals -- closeup zooms on the characters' faces, or sequential stationary artwork. (Basically, like you've seen in all the terrible ads for games of this genre.) It's a lot more dynamic than Choices, and many people will find it more interesting.

There appears to be a section on the app for community features, but that doesn't seem to have been implemented currently.

Would you recommend this to other users? Do highly recommend! I think anyone who enjoys the stories in Choices will probably enjoy the stories in this app, and I consider them far better than stories in many comparable apps. For people like me who find it difficult to get past bad dialogue and/or bad English, a game like this is a rare and valuable find. I wasn't expecting it to be really good, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing more, especially once I'm able to get a mod on my phone.

I'm picky when it comes to my games -- I've downloaded just about every game in the Choices genre of interactive story anthology, and ended up losing interest in most of them almost immediately, usually because the stories, writing, or translation are mediocre to terrible. The only ones still on my phone are Choices, Lovestruck, and (even though the stories aren't great) Love Sick. So I recommend that if you're into any of those games, and especially if you're as picky as I am, give "Stories: Love and Choices" a try.

If you are interested in stories from a male perspective or LGBT content, the stories currently on offer don't have much for you, but you should check in again once the app is more developed to see if they've added any. This one shows a lot of promise.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

BurningFairy

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
I still haent played it but it sounds just about my style ^^ Thank you for the review! I will try the game !