💬 Review Talentime

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,350 happy users since 2014.
Register

sclaire93

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Talentime

a mute indian teenager falls in love with the bright english malay mixed girl. a chinese student gets jealous over a malay boy great grades. meanwhile a talent audition at school offer kids to win rm1000.

Review:
another yasmin ahmad classic. talentime was the last movie the late yasmin ahmad wrote and directed. this movie does not bring us the beautifully talented sharifah armani as perusual it is with yasmin ahmad's previous works but we do see recurring actress/actors but within different characters and dynamics this time.
yasmin ahmad was an inspiration. she created movies that showcases malaysia as it is. with her movie, you could be assured that you can see diversity and colours amongst her cast and characters.
i personally love how this rich family friend of them, a datin, was being racist and judgemental towards Melur (protagonist) family for having a chinese helper whilst they were a malay family and when you are in malaysia, being ethnically malay means you are muslim and chinese ppl eats pork which is against the muslim teachings. the twist here was that despite being ethnically chinese, the help was a devout muslim woman. i personally find this funny as i know some ppl in real life who does this. like they assume things on face value. their worldly views are too narrow and sometimes pitiable.
the story also touches on the racial privileges a malay person would have in malaysia. that it is easier for malays because there are a lot more government help available for one's advancement granted that they are within the bumiputras. meanwhile a nonbumis for example the chinese and indians don't get that much help readily from the governmemt. this was and still is a much sensitive issue here and through yasmin ahmad's subtle yet firm way, this matter was delivered well throughout the argument between two classmates. which is funny because the younger generations are the ones whp are overly impacted by this still ongoing biasness. anywho talentime is a great movie.

Would you recommend this to other users? yes. absolutely yes.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐