💬 Review The Air Raid Killer by Frank Goldammer

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,473 happy users since 2014.
Register

ellie

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 6 years

The Air Raid Killer
by Frank Goldammer​

“People say it’s all haunted here. Things reside in the ruins. I don’t believe in the dear Lord anymore,
but in a place where so many have died? Something will always linger on.”

The Air Raid Killer is an intriguing blend of historical fiction and detective thriller, what's not to love about it? Set in Dresden during the final months of WW2, the story is not only about Detective Inspector Max Heller tracking down a mysterious serial killer, dubbed "The Fright Man", who's murdering young nurses and other victims,
but also about the real hardships of a war-torn Germany, it is a stark study into our humanity and the evil some are capable of. It's heartwrenching at times, to read how terrible the conditions people lived in Dresden were; in poverty and hunger, but also serves as a powerful backdrop for this immersive story.
Its first pages draw you in almost immediately, and it becomes a non-stop reading experience. Frank Goldammmer does an excellent job of portraying the horrors of war endured by the civilians of his hometown Dresden, while immersing the reader into a suspensful detective murder mystery. This story is a must-read if you're interested in German history and historical fiction mixed with classic detective thrillers. Its only downfall would be occasional things being lost in translation-as this book is originally in German- and that the pacing may be a bit slow for those who prefer faster, action-driven stories. On a scale of 10 I would give it a good, solid 9/10, and heartily recommend it.

Get it on Sbenny's here.

Phytoplankton

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 6 years
@ellie

Awesome review and well designed too! You put quite a lot efforts :)

Wow a solid 9/10!

You convinced me! Have put this book in my to read list :)

Thanks!

Moonblink

Resident Bookworm 🐛
Member for 6 years
Wow, like Phytoplankton said this is a very well put together review, congrats on that and i hope to see more reviews from you in the future 😍😁