💬 Review The Boondock Saints (1999)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,253 happy users since 2014.
Register

Anthea

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: The Boondock Saints (1999)

The Boondock Saints is an American vigilante action-thriller film written and directed by Troy Duffy. The film stars Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, David Della Rocco and Willem Dafoe.

Review:
This film shows the story of Connor and Murphy MacManus, two Irish-American twins living in Boston who are played with an insane amount of sibling-chemistry by Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus respectively. The movie starts out on Saint Patrick's day and dives headfirst into the plot without warning while showcasing their usual lifestyle. They get involved with the Russian Mafia in a bar-fight and becomes wanted by the police after killing two of their members. Fortunately for them, the case is handled by FBI Special Agent Paul Smecker, played by the brilliant Willem Dafoe. He clears their name by correctly deducing that it was in self-defense. Later, the brothers share an inexplicable epiphany which comes to them as a mission from God and starts a vigilante killing spree to rid Boston of evil men by going after criminals and mobsters. They are facilitated by their friend David Della Rocco, played by.....David Della Rocco. He's great. Rocco had been an errand boy for the mafia for many years and acts as a guide for the brothers.

Now , on to the characters. One of my most favorite things about how the movie handles its characters is that all the important things about them are shown, not told. First, let's talk about the brothers. They are hot-headed, adaptable, fiercely loyal and has very strong sense of moral justice. These are all mainly seen through their actions, not an exposition dump by the others. Even if they are said, it happens after we already know enough about them and to show the public or personal opinion in general. The twins are hilarious together, bickering and play-fighting through their days, but they act as a single unit when needed and are steadfast in their trust and support for each other against others. Next, Paul Smecker. He is an absolute delight in every scene he is. The thing I personally love about this character is that he can consist of a bunch of labels, but it wouldn't be right because he has his own different ideas of morals and justice while existing within those labels. He's just such a....cool character. Rocco is a loyal dumbass who honestly adds more to the movie than I initially wanted to admit. He may seem like just a NPC guide for our main characters, but he grows on you. Other characters splattered throughout the film are perfectly shown in small doses.

Overall, it's a very well-paced movie with a well-written group of characters within a simple yet entertaining plot.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I would absolutely recommend watching this. It is a rare example of "show, don't tell" and unlike most movies, makes the viewer feel the story rather than learn about it. It contains no romantic plotline, which is a huge plus point for a movie like this. As a bonus, it is also very entertaining and is guaranteed not to be a bore. That is not to say the action goes on from start to finish, what it means is that every scene of the film is interesting and relevant. It may also grow a healthy respect for Ireland and Boston in the viewer.

It contains strong language, glorifies grey morals and shows a lot of violence so I'd issue a PG rating. The people who likes to watch a solid brotherhood in chaotic situations will be very pleased with this film. This is not for people who get personally offended by character's choices and decisions while watching a movie. This is a movie to sit back and enjoy, best watched with siblings because why not.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐