💬 Review The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,083 happy users since 2014.
Register

Anthea

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day is an American vigilante action-thriller sequel to the 1999 film The Boondock Saints written and directed by Troy Duffy. The film stars Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus returning to their roles as the McManus twins, along with several other actors from the first film.

Review:
*This review may contain spoilers from the first movie*

The story starts 8 years after the events of the previous movie. The McManus brothers moved to Ireland and has settled there with their father, which was honestly unexpected for me. But in all fairness, it was pretty ballsy to reveal themselves so publicly and staying in Boston would have been impossible with every mob looking to kill them off. Also that one event was probably enough to put the fear of God in them. So the McManus family has been nonchalantly herding sheep for eight years when they receive news that a Boston priest has been murdered in church and the way he was killed is exactly the way they do it. They deduce that in a truly dumbass move, Joe Yakavetta's son Concezio Yakavetta had the priest killed in such a way to lure the saints out of hiding so he can exact revenge or stop living in fear of them. His plan works and the saints are now back.

Now comes the dissection of the movie. It's a very good sequel. It gives us everything that was fun in the first movie, except Smecker. But we get Eunice Bloom, who is really a welcome addition. Julie Benz, the actress who plays her fortunately does not play her to fill Willem Dafoe's shoes. Instead Eunice is someone who's as smart as Smecker and learned from him, but has her own distinct personality. Despite being the only female character in a male-dominated script, she has great non-romantic chemistry with all the other characters.

Is it yet obvious that I love Eunice bloom?

The brothers played by Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus is still unfairly perfect sibling chemistry. I think by the release of this movie, everyone inside and outside the movie, including the brothers themselves, have accepted Connor as the older brother and it shows in every scene they are in. We are also presented with a new informant named Romeo, played by Clifton Collins Jr. Rocco was fun but Romeo is without doubt a better partner.

Overall it's a well-paced, enjoyable and faithful sequel.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I would absolutely recommend watching this. My recommendation for this is pretty much the same as for Bonndock Saints. It is actually not required to watch the first movie to understand this one, but it is highly recommended to get the full experience. Like its predecessor, it's a very good example of "show, don't tell" and the characters feel organic without being a list of information. There aren't any romantic plotline, which is an unexpected bonus for a sequel with a newly introduced female character as badass as Eunice.

It contains strong language, glorifies grey morals and shows a lot of violence so I'd issue a PG rating. The people who likes to watch a solid brotherhood in chaotic situations will be very pleased with this film. Anyone who liked the first movie is bound to like this one. This is not for people who get personally offended by character's choices and decisions while watching a movie. This is a movie to sit back and enjoy, best watched with siblings and friends because why not.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐