💬 Review The First Tactics (SRPG) [Play Store Version]

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,309 happy users since 2014.
Register

Mark A

˜”*1̴̸̷̶̵̧̛̛̪͍̖̦̣̜̠̯̰̻̫̪̰̞̙̎̀̊̑̏́͛̂͐͋̋̈́̊̿̕͝͝͠ͅ *”˜
Member for 6 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: The First Tactics (SRPG) [Play Store Version]

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): The First Tactics(SRPG)

Can be played even without an internet connection.
Made by only 1 game developer.

There are 5 main character Classes/Jobs to choose from Healer, Tank, Attacker, Ranger, and Mage. All can be unlocked by collecting in-game resource(s).

SPOILER WARNING!
Has a short play-able story, after beating all the 50 stages on "Normal" difficulty "scenes" regarding the continuation of the story and background story would be unlocked. Don't get confused, these unlockable scenes do not extend the game, only extend the lore of the game.

Review:
SPOILER WARNING!
Good day this is a game review of "The First Tactics (SRPG)" [Not Modded/ Playstore]

I'll start this review by pointing out the game's flaws based on my own personal opinions:

1. The items in the inventory appear twice. This is only a visual glitch that does not affect the gameplay or state of your resources/items inside the inventory.

2. The poor English translation. It felt like Google Translate is trying to narrate the story.

3. There is a section where you watch Ads (Advertisements) to get rewards, the problem is sometimes the Ads don't play...

4. The strategy aspect is lacking in the early stages. The game lets the players customize all the unlockable characters (including the main character's classes/jobs), it's great that each character is unique oneway or another and that the maps/battlefields are tailored to the storyline. BUT the gameplay remains to be straightforward, level up your units to overpower the AI (enemies). This simple "strategy" would eventually hit a wall when your units are maxed in level and you are now at the later stages ("Hell", "Impossible" and "Oh My God" difficulties) with the exemption of special bosses, as those are challenging regardless of the difficulty.

5. Poor explanations of the gem mechanic and Stats (Statistics).
The easy fix is by tapping on the character's list of stats and (drag down) scroll to see the full list of stats with detailed explanations.

Now to point out the good parts of the game:
1. The simple gameplay is good for casual gamers while the later stages ("Hell", "Impossible", and "Oh My God!" difficulties) are fun challenges for hardcore gamers.

2. The game developer is not greedy, there is no "Gacha" system and the game is not pay-to-win! If you don't like long grinding for materials...you can use the auto-battle; Auto-battle only works on levels you already cleared.

3. The game requires a lot of grinding to farm resources, the game developer is generous enough to give daily gifts, gifts after losing battles (on the 1st time and 5th time you lose you'll get some items), and also all items can be sold for gold (including the action points; If you don't have time to play, you can just sell those for gold.)

4. There are many game-modes, special bosses spawn from time-to-time (only at late-game), stages with monsters whose levels are higher than your unit's max level, and some artwork for character's change based on its' level (Rare+ and SRare).

Overall the game becomes more challenging and more fun the more I grind for resources, at late-game it feels like a real strategy game which is a pleasant surprise considering how easy (straightforward) the early and mid-game was.
The units being unique adds a layer to the strategy aspect but this is only highlighted in the later stages.

The story is unique but not the best, it would have been better if the English translation wasn't cringy. Personally, even after trying countless combinations and playstyles I still find this game enjoyable, and would probably play it again.
Even more surprising, this game gave me plenty of playtimes even though this game only has 50 main maps, almost no side story, and a "(2x, 3x, and) 4x Speed" option while fighting monsters, plus this game is also fun to replay.

It was fun for me, as I love grinding materials on RPGs (Role Playing Game) it might be too slow or too "tedious" for most people. This game doesn't have any in-app purchase, people can't pay to speed up the process/progression...Not my problem. XD

It was only after I finished the games' story that I found out that the whole game was made by only 1 game developer; I'll let the flaws slide and I look forward to the "Second Tactics".

Some tips and trips:
1. The best class/job for the main character would be the Ranger, Attacker at second. Don't ever pick Tank and Healer as your main character's class/job, any other unlockable character would fit those roles without a problem, and can even be unlocked early.

2. Don't skip the dialogs or scenes.
You'll get to unlock some of the characters you meet in the game's story (scenes); If you skip, you lose the chance to meet them. If you accidentally skipped, you can simply replay the scene (All unlocked scenes can be found on the "Quest" icon).

3. You'll only need 2 Tanks, most of the time 1 Tank would suffice.

4. Healers only need the "Purification" skill, any mana regeneration skill (to target teammates with), and TS (Turn Speed) gems. At worst you might need 2 Healers but most of the time 1 Healer would suffice.

5. Don't give the character named Lohan RE (Resist) gems, Lohan is a Tank with a skill that heals itself but the RE gems would negate it. Use HP gems instead.

6. Don't give the character named Alex HP gems. IA attacks the units with the lowest health percentage (%), not the unit with the lowest maximum health. If all units have 100% HP then the AI would target the unit with the lowest DEF (Defence), not HP.

7. Any Tank only needs a 50% Block Rate (with the use of BR gems or skills), anything more is a waste of resources.

8. Tanks don't need EC (Evade Counter); you need your Tank to lose HP or else the IA (monsters) would target your other units.

9. An Attacker needs 100% EC (Evade Counter), either with the use of an EC gem or skill.

10. Only Attackers and Tanks need RE (Resist) gems; Resistance to status effects like bleed and stun. Most of the time the other units are in a safe distance and/or won't get targeted if you let your Tank do its job.

If you got any questions about this game review (or tips and tricks) feel free to ask, and I'll try my best to answer...at my own pace. :)

Have a nice day and thank you for reading.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, it may not be perfectly polished it is still a good game especially if you consider that this game was made by only 1 game developer.

Hardcore gamers may not like the straightforward gameplay in the early stages, but casual players could still find it fun. While casual players might not enjoy the later stages for being very challenging.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: