💬 Review The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,635 happy users since 2014.
Register

feyrearcheron1

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

81UHyO-A0HL.jpg

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

This book is a quintessential YA fantasy with a strong main character, political intrigue, a love triangle that I didn't hate, and worldbuilding that makes me wish I were in this book.

Review:
This book follows our main character Lia who is the first daughter of the house of Morrighan, which is the kingdom she lives in. In the beginning of the book, we start off with Lia's preparation for her wedding, which her family has arranged for her so that they can secure an alliance with a neighbouring kingdom. Lia has been against this idea for so long, because she believes in marrying for love. and so, on the morning of her wedding she and her best friend pauline devise a plan to run away to this far away town of Terravin, which is a quaint little city on the coast of morrighan. They both adopt new identities, and seek shelter and work from the local tavern maiden Berdi, who graciously accepts them with open arms. While living and working in terravin for a while, she notices two tavern patrons that show up unexpectedly, later known as Kaden and Rafe. The twist of this whole story is that one of these two men is the prince Lia was supposed to marry, while the other is an assassin supposedly sent by her father to kill her for bringing shame on her family by running away.

One thing I really loved about this book was the setting and the worldbuilding. This book did not suffer from a lack of setting, but it also didn't overdo it. You almost feel like you're there in Terravin working in the tavern among these brilliant characters who feel so real, it's almost like you know them. Each of the are special in their own way, and they are so fiercely loyal to one another. It definitely has some aspect of a found family, though not entirely.

Another thing that really intrigued was the way in which the story was told. Not only do we get Lia's point of view, but we also get the points of view from both the assassin and the prince, and we don't know which title belongs to which guy. You think you know the answer because it seems obvious, because come on, it's YA. But then you second guess yourself and change your answer over and over because they both seem like they could be either one. But their characters were really well thought out, and also very likeable given their stories and backgrounds.

Our main character is also so headstrong, and actually quite rational. she doesn't always rush into too many decisions without thinking about the consequences first, but she also isn't afraid of diving into things headfirst and putting herself in the path of danger if she needs to. Her bravery and rationality were actually refreshing to read about. Each character had such depth to their story, they really do feel like people you actually know, and their thoughts and emotions even become yours as you continue to read on.

Lastly, while the plot may seem like an average idea and very unoriginal, the author puts her own original twists and turns into the story and really makes it one that i thoroughly enjoyed. Everything about this book hooked me, beginning to end. I've read this book twice now and my love for it still stands strong. This is definitely one of my favourite books I've read. It still stands out from the other YA books in my opinion, and doesn't feel too much like other books you've already read.

Would you recommend this to other users? I absolutely would recommed this book to others. If you are new to the YA genre, this is a great place to start. If not, it's still a great story that doesn't feel like the other books you may have read before and offers something different and fresh.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐