💬 Review The Midnight Lie

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,667 happy users since 2014.
Register

Dyestern

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Midnight Lie

It's a YA fantasy series written by Marie Rutkoski. It's the first book in the series. The main protagonist is a girl named Nirrim. The book is about a society where people are divided in three ranks (High Kith, Middlings, and Half Kith) in a very rigid class system. The books contains a f/f romance.

Review:
Nirrim is part of the lowest caste in the book, Half Kith. This caste suffers many abuses at the hand of higher castes, while the High Kith (the highest caste) have anythknf they want. The protagonist is used to this structure in the beginning and doesn't really questions why things are this way. "It is as it is", she often says.

Nirrim she works under her sort of mother figure, Raven, as a cook. Raven has a tavern and takes part in criminal activity: providing fake passports as Middlings for Half Kiths, who want to seek out better lives. Nirrim has an excellent memory and is the one who forges the passports. One day, amagical bird pet of a High Kith arrives where the Half Kiths live. Nirrim catches the bird (and in the meantime kills a guard) and decides to return it. However, she is punished for "stealing". As part of the punishment, she also has to "tithe," which means she has to give up a body part (hair/blood/skin/teeth/limbs/eyes). She is sentenced to a month in jail, where she will have to give up blood daily.

This is where she meets Sid, a foreigner that was thrown into jail because she offended a High Kith who pulled some strings to jail her. Nirrim initially thinks she is a man. Their banter and conversation is very natural and entertaining (as it will be throught the whole book). Eventually, Sid calls on some favors and gets them out of jail, then leaves. Nirrim starts to miss her and tries to find her. This is where the action of the book really begins, but I don't want to spoil things.

The book was very enjoyable. The story is captivating and there are some plot twists you won't expect. The banter between Nirrim and Sid is extremely well-written. Their relationships progresses nicely and they are very cute together. Nirrim goes through a lot of character development during the course of the book and learns that not everyone should be trusted.

The ending is excellent and at some point in the book there is a bit of foreshadowing, but it still wasn't something I expected. However, I'm glad it ended that way and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes. It's absolutely my favourite book released in this year.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
I'm not going to lie. This sounds super interesting and as soon as I have a bit of free time I am going to start reading. lol