💬 Review The Operator by Robert O'Neill

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,257 happy users since 2014.
Register

Ultorima

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Operator by Robert O'Neill

This book is the autobiography of the person who killed Osama Bin Laden. It talks about how he became a Navy SEAL, his time in the "regular" Navy SEALS, his time in DEVGRU, his involvement in the "Captain Phillips" incident, his account of the Osama Bin Laden raid, his SEAL life after, and his life after retirement.

Review:
This was honestly one of the first few books that I read that was not a reading requirement at school. Back then, I was interested in CQB tactics and someone recommended me this book. It's quite a life changing book for me and personally, it has sentimental value.

US Navy SEALs. We all know about them because they're among the best warriors of the planet. Many video games and movies involve SEALs, however, most of these do not accurately depict what it's like to be a SEAL. Although some are fairly accurate, they do not capture a big portion of the picture due to the nature of these mediums. Telling the whole story through a video game, a movie, or a through a TV series, would be difficult, expensive and would bore the consumers. This is why a novel is a good medium for telling what it's like to be a Navy SEAL.

The book paints a pretty good picture of what a Navy SEAL is. It describes the thoughts, concepts and ideas, Navy SEAL traditions, habits, behaviours, which would be hard to depict on a screen.

Although, the book does not discuss the tactics in depth due to operational security reasons, it is a gold mine of information. You can see the tactics at the time although it is quite subtle. It depicts the transition from a gung ho approach that relies on surprise, speed, and violence of action to a more careful methodology.

Would you recommend this to other users? I recommend this book if you are interested in knowing what being a Navy SEAL really is and maybe if you want a glimpse of some of the tactics that they use.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐