💬 Review The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,313 happy users since 2014.
Register

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): https://forum.sbenny.com/threads/the-outsiders-by-s-e-hinton-50th-anniversary-edition.41974/

The book follows a 14-year-old boy named Ponyboy Curtis as he starts to learn the difference between right and wrong, and the struggle of finding out when it is time to do the wrong things for the right reasons. He struggles, growing up in a place where things aren't always so black and white.

Review:
The Soc's (short for socials) are the type of people who grew up with a lot of money and can get away with just about anything because they know the right people. The Greasers on the other hand, always live on the outside, finding their own way in life. This also means that they are open to the social assault inflicted by the Soc's as they think Greasers are beneath them. Ponyboy is a Greaser and has always been so proud of that. He's even taken part in these huge brawl-type fights called Rumbles to defend the honor of the Greasers against the Socs. When Johnny, Ponyboy's close friend accidentally kills a Soc, he begins to question everything and his world falls apart. He begins to realize that everyone feels the effects of a horrible crime like that, not just Greasers or Socs and that they should use it to bond and overcome their pain, not as a point of contention.

The book was so powerful and so painful to read that it is amazing that someone so young was able to write it. She was 15 when she started writing it and 17 when it was published. The book is filled with so much hurt, so much emotion and it is conveyed so well. The struggle that Ponyboy feels as he goes through everything is so powerfully written that you start to feel for the characters on a personal and emotional level as you read it. It really makes me wonder what she had gone through in her life to gain that kind of voice and experience to channel into her writing.

This book has so many lessons to share with the people who read it. Things aren't always what they seem. Even though the book was written just over 50 years ago, it is still as timeless and relevant now as it was when it was written.

Would you recommend this to other users? I highly recommend this book to just about every reader over the age of 12. Some of the topics can be a little harsh for a younger reader. This book was so powerful and so important that I think that everyone should read it at least once. I first read this book when I was in middle school as part of a project, and I found myself rereading it several times throughout my lifetime and each time the meaning evolved a bit more for me.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐