💬 Review The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,722 happy users since 2014.
Register

lushorange

Droidstein Lv8️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): The Perfect Couple

This book is a mystery/thriller about a murder set in Nantucket, MA. The murder happens during their so-called "wedding season," and family secrets are revealed during the investigation.

Review:
This was billed as a light, beach read with mystery and thriller tendencies, so my library's eBook app recommended this book based on my reading style. While it's listed under the thriller category, it feels more like a soapy drama than a thriller to me. In summary, this book wasn't what I hoped it would be.

Don't get me wrong: I don't mind soapy dramas, especially the ones that involve scandal, twists that you don't see coming, and awesome takedowns (like The CW's "Gossip Girl") that make you root for the person who was wronged. But, I had nobody to root for in this book. To me, all of the characters were unlikeable, or boring, or both, so much so that I stopped caring about who killed the victim, and I just wanted the book to end.

After almost 80% in, and with no real development about the murder, I fast-forwarded to the end of the book, and was disappointed to find out who the "real" murderer was! I think it was meant as a twist that you don't see coming, despite all the confusing "clues" left throughout the book, but it ended up being a cop-out, and it wasn't a satisfying ending at all.

Would you recommend this to other users? I wouldn't recommend this book to someone who wants a "real" mystery/thriller. But, if someone just wants to read a short, but meandering, story, then this might be the book for you.

Rating(1-5): ⭐