💬 Review The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #2) by Amy Engel

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,723 happy users since 2014.
Register

feyrearcheron1

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #2) by Amy Engel

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #2) by Amy Engel

Following the events of the first book, Ivy Westfall finds herself outside of the fence that borders the city, thrust into a desolate waste land with no food, no water and no means of protection. Anything can happen to her outside of the fence. She's abandoned by those she trusted the most, and separated from the one person she truly wants to be with.

But maybe being beyond the fence isn't as bad as she expects, especially when Bishop suddenly returns into her life. The freedom they share outside the fence doesn't last forever though, as unrest in the city forces Ivy to decide if she's willing to give up everything she knows for a life of freedom, or if returning to Westfall to take a final stand for what she believes is right is worth losing everything she's fought for.

Review:
Through the events of the last book, Ivy has found herself sentenced to live on the other side of the fence as punishment for her crime. This side of the fence houses some of the worst criminals, animals, horrible weather patterns. It leaves Ivy feeling abandoned and alone, and horribly scared, forcing herself to push through the desolate land outside of Westfall in order to survive. For the beginning of her sentence, Ivy felt like giving up. She has no food, no water, no means of protecting herself. She’s getting weaker as time goes on, but a harrowing encounter with another prisoner forces her to take action and leaves her fleeing deeper into the wasteland and further away from the fence.

Bishop himself feels both abandoned and confused, shocked at the crime Ivy is accused of and confused as to why she would do such a thing. He then makes it his mission to find her, because he feels that something is off. The girl he got to know seems less and less like the girl accused of these crimes. He wants answers; Who is the real Ivy Westfall?

While Ivy finds herself deeper into the wasteland, she finds two unlikely allies who nurse her back to health; Caleb and Ash. From there, she joins them on their journey, where she discovers a whole new world. The people outside the fence are living in villages and sharing their resources, living amongst each other like family. What hits Ivy the most is how normal it feels, and how much freedom they have. Compared with Westfall, it feels surreal. They’re complete opposites. Her thoughts flick back to home and what she left behind, and to Bishop every now and then, of her betrayal mostly, but of how she felt when she was around him; like she had a choice.

Bishop brought out a different side of Ivy, and showed her a different side of himself, and she misses it; misses him. It’s only a matter of time until Bishop finds her outside of the fence, surprising her at the lengths he’s willing to go. It proves how much of what he felt for her was real. But Ivy is still reluctant, and she pushes him away regardless of how she feels. Bishop doesn’t accept this though, he knows there’s more to discuss, and he pushes her to have the awkward conversation they couldn’t avoid any longer; what really happened that night Ivy was arrested?
Ivy’s character really grows in this book, and her experiences force her to change the way she thinks and acts. She really grows fond of the life she could have outside of the fence, a life she could have with Bishop. She does have her weak moments, and it can be frustrating, but it’s all a part of her development. Bishop’s character also develops in this book as well, but from the first book it was no secret how loyal, kind, caring, sweet, passionate and considerate he is. He’s truly a love interest worth loving.

Chaos inside the city of Westfall hits the ears of the villagers, and news spreads outside of the fence of the unrest happening because of Ivy’s family. She now has a decision to make, does she go back to Westfall to quell the unrest? Or does she abandon her family like they abandoned her?

This book does make you question things, and you realize how much of the world is not as black and white as you expect. Things blur together more than you think, and the morality of right and wrong isn’t as clear cut. This series took me back in time, because the dystopian genre isn’t one where the hype lasted for a really long time. It was just there for a while and then disappeared, but the genre itself has grown immensely during that time.

I knew this duology would have been a bit trope-y given that it’s older, but I didn’t mind it at all. I loved seeing these characters interact and grow, learn from their mistakes and develop their skills. I loved Ivy’s fierceness, and Bishop’s loyalty. His character did deserve better though, the way Ivy treated him left me quite frustrated. I was still surprised to see him persevere, and that shows how he truly felt about her. I wish Ivy would have realized it sooner, and trusted him more, but throughout her upbringing she was taught not to trust anything about him, so it makes sense that she’s struggling.

She has guts though, and little by little her façade begins to fade. Bishop brings out the best in her, he doesn’t change her in any way but shows her how to be the best version of herself. Their relationship seemed unlikely in the beginning (even though we know it was bound to happen because come on, it’s an older YA book), but the development of their feelings still really stuck with me. I enjoyed this duology a lot, it was a quick, fun read that didn’t really require much commitment. You don’t have to think too hard about the plot or the characters, it’s just all laid out for you.

Would you recommend this to other users? I recommend this duology if you’re looking for something easy to read, and you don’t mind younger characters or books that are a bit older and trope-y. Similar to the first book, it's also a bit centred on the relationship between the main characters, but the books do have many messages within them.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐