💬 Review The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,034 happy users since 2014.
Register

zhaoo

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The Shadow of the Wind takes place in Barcelona, 1945-1966. The book is a first-person narrative that tells the story of the main character, Daniel, who finds a book from a series that someone desires to burn. This results in Daniel trying to find more about Julian Carax’s past and why his novels are burned. Due to Daniel’s stubbornness in trying to discover the truth, the theme of determination is consistent. Though Daniel says that he doesn’t care about a novel by a man named Carax anymore and calls it a “child’s game,” Daniel later begins to fully immerse himself into Carax’s life. The Shadow of the Wind is a book based on the theme of coming to age.

Review:
The determination that Daniel felt in trying to discover Carax's life and why he disappeared had a sense of thrill and excitement. I personally felt intrigued, even though this type of background information doesn't quite suit my taste nor anyone else's my age, as it may seem "childish." Despite its childish name and my bad description, I would still read it. I would read it especially right before bed, even if that time was usually reserved for my phone, because feelings would rush over to my head, wondering what would happen next. Each chapter left me wanting to read more. My eyes may be sleepy, but I sure do want to find out more because of the plotline. It was interesting because a boy whose family manages a bookshop found a really good book, but to find more about why this was a rare copy might've left some adventurous mark on him.

There were some sexual scenes in this book, but none to the extent that would leave me flushed and skip to the next part. It would always leave the scene the moment it starts, and that's a blessing to me because I would usually get disturbed because reading these types of novels are only for the plotline. Even if it was a romance book, I'd like it to keep it to the downlow.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes! I would! The first time I tried recommending it, left my friends laugh at me for reading such a childish book because of my way of describing the book. It's really good. Just give it a read.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐