💬 Review The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miler

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,034 happy users since 2014.
Register

glowycloud

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
eBook Releaser
Member for 5 years
Name of the Content you are reviewing: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miler

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): eBook Download - Song of Achilles by Madelline Miller

A retelling of Homer's Iliad, from a fresh perspective. Miller's The Song of Achilles focuses on the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus; from their boyhood in Pythia, their training with Chiron, and to their final days in Troy.

Review:
Let's get this out of the way: there's no way this can be an objective review. I have too many feelings about this book and Greek mythology in general to keep this impartial. That's all, now to the review.

Essentially, The Song of Achilles is a retelling of the Iliad through the eyes of Patroclus, Achilles' closest friend. It stays mostly true to its source material, with a few creative licenses. The misogyny, violence, bloodshed, and rape, are mentioned almost offhand, because, to these characters, this behavior is commonplace.

The book focuses on the more human facet of his character, compared to other adaptations where he is reduced to little more than a one-man meat grinder motivated by lust love. It is refreshing to see him as a human deeply flawed by his godly blood, a character worthy of your sympathy more than your pity.

Miller's writing style is difficult to describe. It's technically prose, but the way the words flow and connect and tug at your heartstrings feels reminiscent of the epic poem that inspired it. This does not mean that it is full of obscure metaphors or difficult-to-parse words. Quite the contrary, it utilizes simple words and straightforward sentences to convey a sense of tenderness through the written word. This passage is a good example:
The rosy gleam of his lip, the fevered green of his eyes. There was not a line anywhere on his face, nothing creased or graying; all crisp. He was spring, golden and bright. Envious death would drink his blood, and grow young again.

He was watching me, his eyes as deep as earth.

“Will you come with me?” he asked.

The never-ending ache of love and sorrow. Perhaps in some other life I could have refused, could have torn my hair and screamed, and made him face his choice alone. But not in this one. He would sail to Troy and I would follow, even into death.

“Yes,” I whispered. “Yes.”

Relief broke in his face, and he reached for me. I let him hold me, let him press us length to length so close that nothing might fit between us. Tears came, and fell. Above us, the constellations spun and the moon paced her weary course.
In conclusion, read The Song of Achilles. It's great.
also please don't blame me if the ending kills you, it killed me too

BONUS: this extremely accurate moodboard

Would you recommend this to other users? YES DEFINITELY

glowycloud

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
eBook Releaser
Member for 5 years

claireisfine

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
I absolutely loved this book!! And that moodboard is so accurate it hurts all over again. Loved your review💛💛

glowycloud

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
eBook Releaser
Member for 5 years
I absolutely loved this book!! And that moodboard is so accurate it hurts all over again. Loved your review💛💛
Thanks! The book hurt me so much but I enjoyed every second of it. It's nice to meet a fellow fan!