💬 Review To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,322,376 happy users since 2014.
Register

glowycloud

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
eBook Releaser
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee [EPUB]

Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior - to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos.

Review:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee takes place in Maycomb, Alabama during the Depression, and is narrated by the main character, a little girl named Jean Louise "Scout" Finch. Her father, Atticus Finch, is a prominent lawyer with high moral standards. Scout, her brother Jem, their friend Dill and Scout form one inquisitive trio. The book talks about the ‘growing up’ of Scout and how the lives of the Finches changes when Atticus takes up a case to defend a black man, Tom Robinson.

This book certainly has to be one of the best I've read. Lee’s writing style impressed me because it was simple yet effective. She shows a great sense of social consciousness by taking up a topic such as racism and tackling it wonderfully. The character of Atticus gives voice to her views. He is respected by both the rich and the poor but when he decides to defend Robinson, falsely accused of raping a white girl (Mayella Ewell), he puts it all on the line. His family is ostracized, his children have to face abuse in school and yet, he doesn’t give up. He truly embodies the spirit of standing up for the truth.

Another major theme in the novel is Scout’s maturation. From a clueless, somewhat wayward girl, she learns from her father, her idol, Jem, and her coloured housekeeper Calpurnia, she is transformed into a wise young lady. Early in the book, Scout describes her father as somewhat older than most of the other fathers in Maycomb. His relatively advanced age often embarrasses his children—he wears glasses and reads, for instance, instead of hunting and fishing like the other men in town. But later, she begins to respect him and love him for what he is, gaining much wisdom from his experience.

One summer, Jem and Scout befriend a boy named Dill, who has come to live in their neighborhood for the summer, and they act out stories together. Eventually, Dill becomes fascinated with the spooky house on their street called the Radley Place. The house is owned by Mr. Nathan Radley, whose brother, Arthur (nicknamed Boo), has lived there for years without coming outside. Arthur is believed to be a murderer. When Dill returns the following year, they enact scenes from Boo’s story, but when Atticus sees them he says,
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”
This is one of my favourite lines from the book. It is so simple in a way, yet it talks about a great concept, the concept of equality. This greatly affects Scout’s moral development. Atticus’ views about Boo are proven right when later, he leaves gifts for the children in a tree knot and saves Jem from a fire.
“Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”
This is another one of my favourite lines and also the source of the novel’s title. It is the first time that Atticus tells the children that something is evil. This arouses Scout's curiosity, which is later satiated by Calpurnia who says,
“Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”
Another valuable lesson that Lee tries to teach us, why harm others when they didn’t do anything to you? Why punish Robinson for something he hasn’t done? Quite inspiring.

Would you recommend this to other users? In the end I would like to say this book is a must-read for all, whatever be your age, you will learn something whenever you pick it up. It is one of the few books I reread, an all-time classic.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

arsomartinera

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
I for one know that To Kill a Mockingbird is a book that really has changed my life and that every time I go back over it, I find something new that I assimilate into my own code of ethics. Going over it, whilst being an arduous task, was in the long run worth all the time it took, and plenty more besides.

DafontShowboxAdam4adam

Last edited:

Jessicat

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
I have never read the book but that is because it has been over popularised but your description has me intrigued so thankyou

MassiveEffect

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Lovely Book well worth the reed push in on your friends they will be all the better for the read

voiq stiles

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
i’ve always wanted to read this book but never got the time to and reading these reviews sound good too! possibly might go to the bookstore sometime ;)

Mavin

⭐?️SBENNY MARSHAL?️⭐
Member for 6 years
Thanks for the awesome review..ill definitely find time to read it.