💬 Review Waterfire Saga, Book Three: Dark Tide - Jennifer Donnelly

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,746 happy users since 2014.
Register

Rosie54321

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Waterfire Saga, Book Three: Dark Tide - Jennifer Donnelly

Serafina and her friends have to deal with a different set of problems in this third installment; now, the battle's not just physical, but political. After fresh betrayal, the girls (or merls as the book would call them), lead an uprising resistance, with the matured Serafina at the head. All the characters are put to the test and the stakes only get higher from here.

Review:
**Spoilers for the first two books ahead**

Okay. wow. I don't know where to start with this one; along with the fears of sea monsters and Orfeo, Serafina's betraying uncle had me shocked on the last pages of Rogue Wave. And Dark Tide follows through with the tension, because now there's political intrigue, and the six mermaids have to find a way to stop both Sera's uncle and Portia while gettomg each individual talismen. When I say I was on the edge of my seat, I mean I nearly fell off. Sera's relationships get more and more tangled and who to rely on or who to suspect becomes a huge issue. Many times, characters feel at the end of their rope or ready to give up, and nothing has been more at stake than it is now. Ling is caught in a "bit of a pickle" while trying to get her own talismen, and it really left me wondering how everyone was going to make it out at the end.

Our main characters in this book contrast greatly with their younger selves in the first and even second books. Serafina, who used to rely entirely on her mother and live a life of luxury, is put to real tests as the leading of the Black Fin Resistance, while and unknown human "Rafe Mfeme" is looking for the talismen too. Serafina's trying to manage taking care of a growing population and keep them under the radar at the same time, while Mahdi, Serafine's betrothed is trying to keep up the ruse he's in love with Portia's daughter Lucia. Everything is at the edge of a tipping point. One slip up could ruin everything for everyone, and that's the real clincher of this installment: it was gripping and terrifying and kept me up at night.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes yes yes, a hundred times yes! This one really had me on the edge of my seat. Sometimes the high-tension pacing left me mentally tired, because I couldn't read anymore but I needed to know what happened next. We get a lot of different points of view and its definitely worth the read if you liked the first two books in the series. I'd give it a 4.5, but I'll put it at 5 because it was probably my favourite book in the series.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐