💬 Review Waterfire Saga, Book Two: Rogue Wave - Jennifer Donnelly

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,334 happy users since 2014.
Register

Rosie54321

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Waterfire Saga, Book Two: Rogue Wave - Jennifer Donnelly

The sequel to "Deep Blue", Rogue Wave follows the journey of the six mermaids as they try to find all their talismen and prevent disaster. They visit mysterious and dangerous places in the depths of the ocean, and overcome shocking betrayals from people they thought they could trust.

Review:
I'd say I enjoyed this book a little bit better than deep blue, mostly because of the character exploration; we get to naturally learn more about each of the main girls and I found the pacing quite natural. To find the talismen, the Serafina ends up having to look into the "ruins of Atlantis", essentially, and I thought Jennifer Donnelly's way of handling the lore was incredible. We, as readers, don't really know what the heck the creatures she talks about are, but she somehow helps you understand the world she's created despite that. I won't spoil anything either, but there were more twists in this sequel than there were in the first book. Every chapter I was wondering what would happen next either out of excitement or out of tension.​
Speaking of tension, learning more about the characters from their perspectives caused a lot of tension, as we got more dramatic irony building up behind the scenes and no way to predict what would happen. I wasn't a fast reader when I first started this series, so i would spend hours on end going through the chapters and even reading in the car despite the possibility of nausea. There's also a lot of representation in each of the main characters, since they're from different parts of the world and have different experiences and strengths. It was, in my opinion, a very clever way for Jennifer Donnelly to incorporate diversity; these characters aren't just different races "because i need diversity", but because its essential to the plot. I appreciated the way her heroines got out of each situation, everything made sense and in my opinion really showed their growth and cleverness.​

There were some chapters that felt either too long or too rushed, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes! If you enjoyed the first book, I think you'll enjoy this one even more. Although, you shouldn't read it before you read the first one, because a lot happens which you wouldn't be able to predict from the first book alone.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐