Yennefer of Vengerberg or Triss Merigold? (The Witcher)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,764 happy users since 2014.
Register

Yen or Triss

• Total voters

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
  • What is your preference when regarding the two ladies?
  • Does your preference change based on the game and books?
  • What is the main reason of your choice?

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
My choice is Yennefer as she is just stunning (from what I've seen in the series, haven't played any part nor read any books YET!)
Any specific reasons to discard Triss other than the fact that you find Yen stunning?
Post automatically merged:

Oh nvm sorry I did not read that you did not play any games.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
Heya, I am moving your post to the TV Show discussions area. The questions area is mainly for troubleshooting and helping members with things.

But I totally am a Yennifer fan. I like that they built her up as a character that seemed destined to fail and showed her power and determination. I think Triss was a bit predictable for me.

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
I was actually aiming this post towards the audience wo have played games and read books but considering that almost all of the participants have only watched the show so I agree with your decision.

Emmanuel1337

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
I've read all the books, played only the first game (due to lack of a good PC to play the rest) and seen the first season of the Netflix show. For me, it's Yennefer all the way and I guess this is pretty much a no brainer for people that hold the books in the highest regard among the rest.

Yennefer is the true love of Geralt's life -- that's a fact. Even though the early years of their relationship are filled with unpleasant memories, they ended up working things out and proving to each other and the readers that depite the clashes, misunderstandings and doubts, their love is true and they make an amazing couple. It isn't perfect, no real relationship is, and that's the beauty and complexity of their case.

I have no real problem with the other characters from a book perspective, even Triss, that most people seem to go on about how she is terrible, manipulated Geralt and so on. She's definitely more likeable in the games, I'll give you that, and if I had only them to guide myself, considering how she is present in all of them and has a more easy-going personality than Yen in the last, I'd probably go with her.
Shani is just a lay in the books and has no real meaning to Geralt. The games version disgusts me for the fact that she had an affair with Thaler (why the hell did CDPR made the choice to add that to her character? IT'S HORRIBLE!).
I love Essi Daven and the short story that she appears, "A Little Sacrifice", almost made me cry. Fun fact: at the time when I was reading her shortstory, I hated Yennefer for how she treated Geralt in "A Shard of Ice", so I really wanted for Geralt to ditch Yen once and for all and be with Essi. Now, having read all of the series and reflecting better about everything, I understand Geralt's choice and support it. As far as I know, Essi doesn't appear in the games, and we know why...

Last edited:

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
I've read all the books, played only the first game (due to lack of a good PC to play the rest) and seen the first season of the Netflix show. For me, it's Yennefer all the way and I guess this is pretty much a no brainer for people that hold the books in the highest regard among the rest.

Yennefer is the true love of Geralt's life -- that's a fact. Even though the early years of their relationship are filled with unpleasant memories, they ended up working things out and proving to each other and the readers that depite the clashes, misunderstandings and doubts, their love is true and they make an amazing couple. It isn't perfect, no real relationship is, and that's the beauty and complexity of their case.

I have no real problem with the other characters from a book perspective, even Triss, that most people seem to go on about how she is terrible, manipulated Geralt and so on. She's definitely more likeable in the games, I'll give you that, and if I had only them to guide myself, considering how she is present in all of them and has a more easy-going personality than Yen in the last, I'd probably go with her.
Shani is just a lay in the books and has no real meaning to Geralt. The games version disgusts me for the fact that she had an affair with Thaler (why the hell did CDPR made the choice to add that to her character? IT'S HORRIBLE!).
I love Essi Daven and the short story that she appears, "A Little Sacrifice", almost made me cry. Fun fact: at the time when I was reading her shortstory, I hated Yennefer for how she treated Geralt in "A Shard of Ice", so I really wanted for Geralt to ditch Yen once and for all and be with Essi. Now, having read all of the series and reflecting better about everything, I understand Geralt's choice and support it. As far as I know, Essi doesn't appear in the games, and we know why...
What is your opinion regarding the new series? Did it live upto your expectations?

Emmanuel1337

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
My expectations weren't too high to begin with because of the awful casting of many characters, but I got over that and watched the show with an open mind, expecting to at least get a faithful experience for everything else, after all, Lauren Schmidt (the showrunner) said multiple times (on Twitter and interviews) that they were trying their best to make everything as faithful as possible to the books. I ended up getting more and more at ease as the day of the arrival got close and my expectations went up a lot after seeing some informations, interviews and how Henry Cavill was really passionate, going all in. I was expecting a pretty solid show in all aspects besides the look of the characters.

Fast foward to the release date, I watched everything in a single day. The show has really good visuals and music, but the rest? The tight fidelity to the books that they promised? It isn't there. They managed to adapt faithfully only the very core of everything and some tiny bits here and there. I understand that some changes are inevitable when you convert one media into another, specially when you're dealing with a real-life adaptation, but they changed so much unnecessary stuff -- tons of small to medium and even some big things -- that if you put them into the balance, a lot of The Witcher overall feel was stripped away. Even if you ignore the plot changes and take a look at the characters themselves, they changed lots of things, even completely in some cases, sadly failing to convey much of their true nature and personality. All of the actors and actresses did a great job with what they had, it doesn't seem to have been their fault at all (it was probably the script).

All of that being said, the show is good for what it is, just isn't nowhere near what it was marketed to be. I'd give it a 6.5/10 and I think I'm still being generous considering how they lied so much about what they were going to present. If they said from the start that it was going to be it's own thing, with that many changes, I would definitely cut some slack and maybe give it a 7.5/10 (yeah, I'm really annoying when it comes to reviewing stuff lol).

Nightbird89

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 5 years
Funny enough, my answer changes based on the media.

My first encounter with the Witcher was the Game. Triss is in all 3 games, and is the consistent supportive LI through the first 2 games. Yennifer is never even really mentioned except as a past flame. As such, when she suddenly shows up in W3 I wasn't about to dump Triss for some new girl.

That said, I do like the relationship they have portrayed between Yen and Geralt in the TV show, Triss is barely in any episodes. So if the TV show were my only knowledge of the Witcher, I would have to go with Yennifer.

Haven't read the books yet, but I assume Yennifer is probably a more fleshed out character.

Another Coffee

Sbennytopia's Royal Hatter
Member for 5 years
Since this is in the TV Shows category, I'll make the attempt of forgetting about the books and games.

The TV show is ok if you know nothing about the universe of The Witcher. You'll probably enjoy it tho it will also fall short if the intentions were to make a new Game Of Thrones (like the producers wanted). i mean, really...who thought that a big fire-spitting canary could make an awesome golden dragon? And not a single character aging is absurd...at least change the hairstyles, buddy!...
And on that note, choosing Yen is a no brainer since she's the main female cast.....weak as the argument is.

However, since the poll also mentions Shani and Essi (and those are characters that not even appear in the TV Show.....) I'm guessing that were are diving head first into spoiler territory and that people know a bit about games/books...
In that case, we are all probably a bit dissapointed since the tv show drops the ball terribly in a few areas: not only casting and the usual Netflix bs but the ridiculous changes that even me, not being an expert, can see..like characters missing.

And since i watched the series, played the games and read some of the books..i'm choosing none (or everyone, i guess). Geralt is a caring figure in a ruthless world that takes solace wherever he can find it....besides, it's healthy fun to oppose the people that are sending petitions for Geralt and Jaskier to pair up or whatever xD

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
Since this is in the TV Shows category, I'll make the attempt of forgetting about the books and games.

The TV show is ok if you know nothing about the universe of The Witcher. You'll probably enjoy it tho it will also fall short if the intentions were to make a new Game Of Thrones (like the producers wanted). i mean, really...who thought that a big fire-spitting canary could make an awesome golden dragon? And not a single character aging is absurd...at least change the hairstyles, buddy!...
And on that note, choosing Yen is a no brainer since she's the main female cast.....weak as the argument is.

However, since the poll also mentions Shani and Essi (and those are characters that not even appear in the TV Show.....) I'm guessing that were are diving head first into spoiler territory and that people know a bit about games/books...
In that case, we are all probably a bit dissapointed since the tv show drops the ball terribly in a few areas: not only casting and the usual Netflix bs but the ridiculous changes that even me, not being an expert, can see..like characters missing.

And since i watched the series, played the games and read some of the books..i'm choosing none (or everyone, i guess). Geralt is a caring figure in a ruthless world that takes solace wherever he can find it....besides, it's healthy fun to oppose the people that are sending petitions for Geralt and Jaskier to pair up or whatever xD
Thank you for your insightful answer.

I have not seen the series (I am planning to read the remaining four books) but I take it that according to your input a person who has read all the books and played the games would be really disappointed after watching the series. The same cannot be said about people who haven't read the books since most of my friends (who dont even know about the books) actually enjoyed the series.

Regarding my preference I still will read all the books before series since it is more interesting for one to actually watch the series and notice all the details that one's imagination mustered while reading the books come to life .

On a side note when I saw the trailer I kind of got the feeling that the series, although they say it, will never go in the same direction as of the book since many of the details mentioned in the book have been "left out" just for the sake of not "offending" the communities which also poses as a risk of loss of the real essence of the stories.

Regarding the cast it was pretty disappointing for someone who has read the books and some of them clearly are not how they are portrayed in the book (Just look at the dryads of Brokilon). I sincerely hope that they learn from their mistakes and hopefully come back strong in the next (if there will be one) season.

Funny enough, my answer changes based on the media.

My first encounter with the Witcher was the Game. Triss is in all 3 games, and is the consistent supportive LI through the first 2 games. Yennifer is never even really mentioned except as a past flame. As such, when she suddenly shows up in W3 I wasn't about to dump Triss for some new girl.

That said, I do like the relationship they have portrayed between Yen and Geralt in the TV show, Triss is barely in any episodes. So if the TV show were my only knowledge of the Witcher, I would have to go with Yennifer.

Haven't read the books yet, but I assume Yennifer is probably a more fleshed out character.
I have only read the first three books, and interestingly enough Yennefer plays and essential role in the story whereas Triss does not get mentioned that much as Yennefer does. Maybe Triss's story starts later on in the books.

Last edited:

Nightbird89

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 5 years
Look, as someone who was a big fan of the games, I can still say that I enjoyed the TV show. The only real important character I remember missing was Zoltan and Vesemir. Then again I dont know how different the books are from the game.

Some things from the TV show were different from the game and I assume the book, but the thing about TV and movies is that you cant really include everything you want in a 8 episode format. Things have to get trimmed. What's important is that the core of the story and characters remain the same.

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
Look, as someone who was a big fan of the games, I can still say that I enjoyed the TV show. The only real important character I remember missing was Zoltan and Vesemir. Then again I dont know how different the books are from the game.

Some things from the TV show were different from the game and I assume the book, but the thing about TV and movies is that you cant really include everything you want in a 8 episode format. Things have to get trimmed. What's important is that the core of the story and characters remain the same.
As you know that the TV show is mainly based on the books so anybody who has read the books beforehand would be a bit disappointed with the end result of the TV show. I am not saying that any person who reads the books will start hating the books but rather be pretty disappointed. The characters, as I previously mentioned have many differences than the ones mentioned in the book considering that the TV show is based ON the books.

Saggo

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
In fact I didn't read all the books nor did I play all the games (only the 2nd). I have no preferences, my choice was based on: relationship intensity + similarities in the story of Gerald and Yennefer / Triss + how they met + relationships with other people.

Despite not reading the books and playing the games, I saw several videos from the last game. Yennefer - unlike Triss - seems to be more intrinsically linked to Gerald of Rívia. In addition, Yennefer's beauty matches her strong personality more than Triss Merigold's. So much so that the latter had its appearance greatly changed. Nothing against it, but change the color of an eye and even the soul may not be the same.

The main reason I chose Yennefer is, again, her relationship with Gerald. Not her beauty, not just her personality, let alone her altered appearance on the TV series. Justifying my way of thinking, most of our TV series, films, books, etc. they are based on relationships with other people. So Yennefer and the wizard are the kind of couple that are hard to forget.

RamHina

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
On its own, the show is quite good but as an adaption, I have mixed feelings about it. The one thing I liked about the show is how they showcased Yen's backstory and how it was conveyed in a more straightforward manner rather than the tid bits we got from the books... but the rest, it was quite mediocre in my opinion, but that's to be expected when you had read the books first before watching the show.

But as long as it doesn't end up like Season 9 of GOT, I'll be watching the show till the bitter end. Here's to hoping that the show's ending won't be as vague as the book's ending.

Also, I choose Yen. Cause Dandelion's not an option. Because her relationship with Geralt was the epitome of the phrase "To hell and back". Their relationship is not healthy at the beginning, quite toxic in fact. But this is what I loved about the Witcher books, the characters are extremely flawed, but they work around said flaws to reach a certain goal or a compromise. Also, Ciri deserves to see her Mama and Dad together.

Last edited:

Lesca

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
I haven't read the books but I have played the games & watched the show, and I also picked Yennfer. Game wise from the moment she showed up I was transfixed & I know some people hated her attitude but it didn't bother me. Obv her & Geralt were comfy w/ each other & there were moments where you saw her softer emotions. She truly loved & cared about Geralt & Ciri. And she was a total bad ass.

I just...I never took to Triss & haven't too this day. And hearing the whole thing a/b how she got Geralt really rubbed me the wrong way.

Shani however I also liked at least game wise.

As for the show I enjoyed it & can't wait for S2. I love Yennfer in this incarnation too; she's strong, flawed, human and I just root for her.

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
But this is what I loved about the Witcher books, the characters are extremely flawed, but they work around said flaws to reach a certain goal or a compromise.
Exactly, I love this aspect regarding the personalities of the characters.

On its own, the show is quite good but as an adaption, I have mixed feelings about it. The one thing I liked about the show is how they showcased Yen's backstory and how it was conveyed in a more straightforward manner rather than the tid bits we got from the books... but the rest, it was quite mediocre in my opinion, but that's to be expected when you had read the books first before watching the show.

But as long as it doesn't end up like Season 9 of GOT, I'll be watching the show till the bitter end. Here's to hoping that the show's ending won't be as vague as the book's ending.

Also, I choose Yen. Cause Dandelion's not an option. Because her relationship with Geralt was the epitome of the phrase "To hell and back". Their relationship is not healthy at the beginning, quite toxic in fact. But this is what I loved about the Witcher books, the characters are extremely flawed, but they work around said flaws to reach a certain goal or a compromise. Also, Ciri deserves to see her Mama and Dad together.
If you like reading books then I would recommend you reading the witcher series since it is beautifully written and has many details and explanations any witcher fan would want to find out.