💬 Review You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,147 happy users since 2014.
Register

eyannis

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks, Sarah Pekkanen

Shay Williams is an average, nondescript 30-year-old data researcher living in New York. She’s obsessed with data and facts and she feels aimless and unfulfilled. Her life inevitably changes on the day she watched a woman stepped off the subway platform and to her gruesome death.

Shay finds herself transfixed by the suicide and unable to stop thinking about the victim, Amanda, wondering if she would have been able to save her if she had acted quicker. Her thoughts led her to attending Amanda’s wake, where she meets Amanda’s friends, among them the glamorous Moore sisters, Cassandra and Jane.

As Cassandra and Jane take Shay under their wing, Shay begins to live the fulfilling life that she has wanted…except, is she living her life, or is she living Amanda’s life?

Review:
The book draws me in from the first couple of chapters with the narration of Shay’s life and then the suicide. Right away, the tone is set that the suicide was not as clear cut as it seems, and there are much bigger mysteries behind it. The motives of the protagonists are also clear in the beginning – Cassandra and Jane are not who they seem to be, and there is a bigger story behind the circle of friends that Amanda was part of.

Shay’s journey into discovering and uncovering Amanda is written well, and the writers managed to evoke feelings of unsettlement in me as each bit information and detail is uncovered. To the reader, Cassandra and Jane’s acceptance of Shay is fraught with suspicion, but for someone like Shay, it is flattering, overwhelming and very welcomed. The way the writers spin this relationship is very convincing, yet you know that something is terribly wrong.

The story of Cassandra, Jane and the circle of women are particularly intriguing as well. The writers did well to delve into the gray areas of morality. You’ll find yourself agreeing with their actions and their justifications in the beginning, before it begins crossing the lines and the boundaries of the law.

Each and every character in the book is intricately linked together, with the final reveal tying everything together from the past to the present. I have to admit the twist at the end did surprise me – I didn’t really see it coming the way it did.

The writing of Hendricks and Pekkanen is solid enough, although it can be lacking in some parts in terms of the flow and the prose. The suspense building through words are not as strong as the likes of Gillian Flynn or Agatha Christie, while the action is not paced as fast as the likes of James Patterson or Lee Childs. But overall, the book is solid, and it was an enjoyable few hours reading it and getting to the end of the mystery. I am definitely interested in checking out some of the authors’ other works.

Would you recommend this to other users? A good read if you’re a fan of psychological thriller novels, especially if you're looking for a new writer whom you've never read.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐