USB port is malfunctioning. Need help!

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,336,770 happy users since 2014.
Register

MaxSam322

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 1 year
Hi Guys

The USB port of my laptop is sometimes not working. When I use some external hard drive it always disconnects the device in the middle of a file copying or using it for some other purpose like downloading. Also, it disconnects sometimes when I am watching a media file on the external drive. I thought it was a result of the dirt and dust accumulated inside the USB port. So I decided to clean it and since I have no idea how to do it by myself I searched for instructions on the Internet. Then I followed those guidelines and cleaned it.

• Before cleaning I turned off the laptop and removed the battery
  • I used a contact cleaner to clean inside the port.
  • Followed instructions as mentioned.
But the issue remains as same. So do I need to replace the port or need to take this to a repair station?

secretbunker

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Richest VIPs
Active User
Member for 7 years
Some USB ports over time and usage eventually losen the contact site inside the port.
On some, the contact shorts out.
On others, through constant usage, the contact becomes damaged.
Based upon your recitation of events, if I were you I'd take my laptop to have it examined and diagnosed by a TRUSTED repair shop.
It never hurts you to speak to a certified repair person or diagnostician.

MaxSam322

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 1 year
Ok, I will take this to a repair station. Thank you for your kind help.

Obber

✨Random User✨
Member for 5 years
It could be the problem is the USB Cable, not the main computer itself.
did you try using other Cables to connect your External HDD to your Computer?
If so, then the problem is either the port of the External Hard Drive or the USB port of the computer.
Connection Issues... 🤷‍♀️ idk.

MaxSam322

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 1 year
Yes, I have tried to use other cables and pen drives but the problem still occurs. Sometimes the USB mouse is not working when I connect it to the laptop