💬 Review Agatha Knife

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,329,683 happy users since 2014.
Register

Nawabana

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Agatha Knife

Agatha Knife is an easy click-and-point adventure game which lures you into the bizarre world of a 7 year old animal and meat lover girl who just wants to help her family butchery business through a pretty interesting and questionable method.

Review:
Okay so I have to warn you that this is my first review on anything ever (Have a little faith on me at least).

I'm not the type of person that would consider herself a 'gamer' or even good at most games, but I'm definitely a sucker for good written narratives. When I first started playing this particular little game (recommend by one of my best friends, saving me from boredom for awhile) I was already attracted by the main plot, which I'm guessing it is a pretty good sign to begin with. I would say, on any fiction ever.

Agatha Knife is barely the second release of Mango Protocol, an independent gaming company from Spain whose games are mostly composed with refreshing but limited graphics as any click-and-point adventure can be, with geeky but hilarious references in almost every corner of the small world they created and are still developing. This game works as a prequel of their previous title, MechaNika, making it possible to stand alone since is not a direct continuation. I already played both and I can say for sure that this is still my favorite, even though I see it more of a personal choice since I find them equally great, with minor differences.

Anyway, I still haven't talked about the real thing. The story goes as follows (without spoilers): Agatha is a peculiar little girl, but not in the way you may think. She's barely a second grader (or whatever a seven year old would be where you come from) and works in her family's butchery. Willingly, if you worry about child abuse. In that way she's found in the back of the store taking care of cutting and slicing the meat to be selled each day, slaughtering animals that in her double standards she professes to love. That much is her care for them, that the only downside on her dream job is to see them scared for their lives as she approaches with her knives every single time.

Lately, things haven't been going as they should in the business that it's each day more impossible to maintain. In her despair, Agatha's mother resources to the only way of coping that is left: praying. And even if little Agatha doesn't fully understand the reasons within faith, she still follows her mom to church in hopes of finding a solution to their problems. And that's when she meets it, the way of solving everything.

Guided by an organization of mysterious and doubtory provenance, Agatha starts her hero's journey to become the prophetess of her own brand-new religion that is conceived as carnivorism.

With that beginning my interest was definitely peaked and I was found with equally charismatic and questionable characters, hilarious dialogues, and an entertaining enough plot that made me progressively eager to know what would happen at the very end as it invited me to explore more.

It is pretty straight forward and there's barely choice making but generally I enjoyed the irrelevant nature that I'm sure would offend more than a couple. And I'm not that fond of dark humor myself, but I think it just resonated with me in this case. I won't get too much into that.

On gameplay side, there's not much to it. It can get a little bit confusing and I can't deny that there's always the frustrating part of this genre on getting lost and don't knowing what to do while getting stuck on a loop. Though in this case, I believe is one of the easiest games I've played with the exception of one moment in particular that obliged me to take a break. But the rest is just kind of obvious. It's also short in the way that you could unfold all of it on a procrastination afternoon only.

Would you recommend this to other users? Even if you're into these games or not, I would really recommend give it a shot for the narrative merit. Except... if you're vegan or extremely sensitive of course.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐