💬 Review Eight (2016)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,336,278 happy users since 2014.
Register

royjackson

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Eight (2016)

It is a story about a woman suffering in agoraphobia and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. It is directed by Peter Blackburn.

Review:
For her, life is about little steps.

Watching this film was very torturous and agonizing. Every step was met with frustration and fear, the music and her cries combined to send me into the myriad of emotions she is feeling.

First look at Sarah felt like looking into the mirror. I do not have OCD, but I myself have agoraphobia. It is very debilitating and it stops you from moving at all because of the panic. Just staring at nothing because anything else would be too much to ask.

Looking at her scabbed hand, it was obvious to see for anybody else who don’t know the plot. It’s a symptom of cleaning your hand obsessively with any means you deem necessary. This is just one of her many rituals. This cannot be helped by a person with OCD because while their fear might be less realistic, it is still their fear that they need to settle. And if it weren’t more obvious, she went ahead to do little things in her life with utmost fixation and obsessiveness, acting on her compulsions. It was pitiful to see. It’s not hard to see what the production made this for—for people to sympathize other people who go through this disorder, and not take it lightly.

I’m thankful that people have the chance to see that some things may be easy for them, but not for other people. What you can do, other people wished they can. To go out with confidence and not a care for anything else. To not be stricken by an illness so severe it hinders the sufferer from a normal life, or even just a life with her family. To live with that every day. Mentally ill people, at the very core, need understanding, patience, and help.

I’m grateful she was able to leave her home, at least for some seconds. That is a very big thing. I can recognize the achievement. When my depression and anxiety had been very bad, a small thing was worth celebrating for. Something you know and be happy for, even though for others it’s something simple. But a small, simple thing for some can be momentous, that much is shown in this film. I can only hope it’s a start of progress and healing.

[This is a review from three years ago pre-Covid19, one I made as a requirement for school. It is open to be recopied if you intend to do so for the same use, but I highly recommend just using it as a starting point or a draft and to modify it.]

Would you recommend this to other users? If you want to have a glimpse on what life is for people with severe Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I recommend watching this film. Though, I will warn that it will require much patience.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐