💬 Review Jesus is king

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,332,131 happy users since 2014.
Register

Ryysee

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Jesus is king

Kanye West’s new film, Jesus Is King, has been labeled a documentary. But that statement isn’t quite right. In multiple ways.

It’s not really a film. Or a documentary. Nor is it even about Kanye West. Instead, what Kanye has given us is an abstract, visually experimental, 31-minute, Gospel-filled feature—both in terms of its music style and its theological message. And it’s one that movingly expresses worship for Jesus Christ as King

Review:
Kanye West is famous for lots of reasons: his 15-year rap career. His break-the-internet publicity stunts. His marriage to Kim Kardashian. His out-of-the-mainstream political opinions. His mental health struggles.

But Kanye has, albeit inconsistently, also expressed an affinity for Jesus. One of his first big hits, after all, was “Jesus Walks” back in 2004. And Kanye’s talked about Jesus more than once since then—even though at times he’s perhaps suggested that he’s on Jesus’ level when it comes to stardom. (See 2013’s controversial album Yeezus for starters.)

And it’s often been a challenge, to say the least, to square Kanye’s sincere-sounding proclamations of faith with his graphically explicit lyrics and his fame-seeking narcissism.

That said, Kanye’s been talking about Jesus a great deal recently. And his occasional Sunday Service worship events have become a cultural talking point as well. In a conversation this week with Apple Music’s Beat One, he said:

“Now that I’m in service to Christ, my job is to spread the gospel, to let people know what Jesus has done for me. I’ve spread a lot of things. There was a time I was letting you know what high fashion had done for me, I was letting you know what the Hennessey had done for me, but now I’m letting you know what Jesus has done for me, and in that I’m no longer a slave, I’m a son now, a son of God. I’m free.”

Kanye’s growing convictions are represented on his new album and in this new theatrical feature, both of which go by the title of Jesus Is King.

Would you recommend this to other users? No, it wasn't good

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐