💬 Review The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,332,465 happy users since 2014.
Register

Badasspenguin

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings #1) by Mackenzi Lee

A funny and heartwarming historical fiction with a dash of magical realism. In The Gentleman's Guide we are following Henry "Monty" Montague, a young english gentleman off on his tour around Europe with his sister Felicity and his best friend Percy, but things get out of hand and the adventure finds them.

Review:
First things first: I l o v e d this book. I picked up this book because I usually enjoy historical fiction, and everyone around me were singing praise to it, and, luckily, I wasn't disappointed.
I really appreciated our protagonist, Monty. He is a likeable guy, but he certainly isn't perfect and has some major flaws. He usually means well and tries his best, but he also can be egotistical, reckless and he is also not the bravest. Mackenzi Lee managed to create a multi-dimensional character and it was so fun to follow him and watch him grow. Also, I liked the talk about abusive family, the excellent bisexual representation, and his sense of humor (or author's clever writing) really made the book for me.
The other character I liked is his little sister, Felicity Montague, and in my opinion, although she was an interesting and well-developed character, there wasn't enough Felicity Montague in this book and I'm looking forward to reading the second one in the series, which is written from her perspective.
I liked Percy as well, but he's probably my least favorite out of the three main characters. Although, I really really enjoyed watching their developing relationship with Monty. The whole romantic subplot is a good example of how a compelling romance can be written without taking over the plot. The author actually shows how much the main characters care for each over the course of the story, but the romance doesn't start spot on, instead, she makes the reader root for them and anticipate the moment they finally get together.
As for the story itself, I liked how the adventure finds the characters in a natural way, it didn't feel forced, the plot is very dynamic and the book reads fast. The magical realism elements are present in this book, but I would say that this is more of a historical fiction.
I also liked the ending, it was heartwarming and just overall a very positive conclusion of the story.

Would you recommend this to other users? I absolutely would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction, well-written characters, adventure and good representation. I am definitely going to read the second book as well.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐