💬 Review The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book 1 by republiquee

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,018 happy users since 2014.
Register

republiquee

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book 1

An interactive fiction game that is entirely text-based, you play as a detective in the small town of Wayhaven, who is tasked with solving a gruesome murder case with the help of Unit Bravo, a team of vampires sent to work with you. You're given the choice to completely customize your detective, from their appearance to sexuality, and to romance one (or maybe even two at the same time for a love triangle route!) out of the four main vampires in the story.

Review:
The Wayhaven Chronicles is one of the first-ever interactive fiction games that got me totally hooked on the genre, as you play a small-town detective who teams up with Unit Bravo, consisting of your four supernatural love interests in the story. Your chosen in-game sexuality decides the genders of your RO's (romance options), who all have their own beautifully written routes with their own unique personalities, so each romance path has its own special flavor. You get to choose from Adam/Ava, the stern leader of Unit Bravo who puts their walls up, Nate/Nat, the kind, charming and old-fashioned vampire (and my personal favorite too!), Mason/Morgan, the sarcastic agent who likes to do things with no strings attached, and finally Felix/Farah, the youngest and light-hearted supernatural of the bunch. You can also choose to set up a love triangle route, by gathering romance points for Adam/Ava and Nate/Nat at the same time.

One thing I love about the game is the replayability of it all, when I usually play video games that allow for romance options, I typically only go for one RO and call it a day. But every RO here was so charming I made it a point to replay it multiple times just to try out nearly every route, with different detective personalities each time! With each RO there are two different routes you could go for: a romance with a bold and flirty detective, or a shy and easily flustered one. The variety in dialogue that comes from having different personalities has made me replay this book countless times.

While the story isn't as grand or complex as other CYOA games, I think the writing for the romance paths more than makes up for it. The game is primarily meant to be romance-oriented after all, and as long as you head into the game expecting that, you'll have a splendid time.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you're into dating sims or vampires, then I couldn't recommend this enough!

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐