💬 Review This War of Mine

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,329,636 happy users since 2014.
Register

rranadwijaya

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: This War of Mine

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 🎮 MOD APK - This War Of Mine - v1.55 - (Unlocked including all expansions!)

In war, not everyone is a soldier who can fend for themselves. A survival simulator of the survivors in a modern war!

Review:
Let's talk about This War of Mine, a game released in November 14, 2014. For the scale of the game itself, it can be categorized as an indie game due to the small size and production budget wise. However, the game received an excellent, if not almost stellar reviews both from players and critics due to the innovative gameplay with original setting that dwelve deeper into the darkside of modern wars.

*The setting.*
This War of Mine is set in a besieged city, where rebels and government alike waged war against each other at the cost of innocent lives getting trapped inside this hellish urban warzone. The player will play as a group of banded survivors, each have their own unique background and stories to tell. You have to work together, scavenge, manage resources, and make most of your precious time in the world effectively, or you'll succumb and perished without any trace in a world where hell was created by humans.

*Glorified wars, exposed?*
The thing I like about this game is that they took another perspective of wars which often gets glorified in modern games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield, which are easily the top flagship games when someone says 'shooter' or 'war'. Instead, you'll be playing as someone who struggled to survive among the ruins of urban battlefield and almost experience how hard it is to survive in a world where everyone is out for themselves -- not for their country or the flag that flies on their yard. This game just exposed the horror side of war beneath government propaganda that calls war as a 'honor' or to 'serve the country better'. Remember, the receiving end of your gun's muzzle will be a person that has their own lives, and family.

*Resource Management!*
You will need water, food, and materials for your group of survivors. And to do this, you'll have to go scavenging at night, where most of the military operations are not active. This doesn't mean that scavenging is a piece of cake, sometimes you'll encounter hostile people, other scavengers, and even military personnel that will shoot you on sight without any doubt in their mind. The amount of things you can carry is also limited, so planning needs to be done before scavenging missions. You'll also have to make necessities for your survivors so they'll stay happy, things such as beds, chairs, and radio. As the game progresses, you'll be able to create your own resources and food. You can make alcohol or cigarettes for trading, or plant some veggies to yield stable food source.

*Survival of the fittest.*
As mentioned before, this game makes you think ahead. Sometimes, you'll get raided by other desperate survivors, and it's up to you to defend your group while ensuring the safety of your hideout. While scavenging for goods and supplies, you'll also get an event where you'd need to cross against other people in order to get more goods for your group. Unfortunately, some of your survivors may not like acts of stealing, and murdering other survivors. But if you're really need the supplies, it's the survival of the fittest, right? The strong will survive and the weak will perish. At the end of the day, your group's survival is the most important.

*Self-preservation, or Selflessness?*
Throughout the game, you'll encounter many events that can raise your karma, or reduce them depending on what you chose. For example, if you help a group of kids that needs medicine for their mom, your group's morale will rise and your karma rise to a certain level. This Karma stat is hidden, but it will affect your character's ending when the game ends. Activities such as helping others will raise Karma level, while activities that harm other people such as stealing, hurting and killing other people will reduce your karma level.

*The Ugly Side.*
This game is not without any flaw. The learning curve of this game is hard, but not impossible. It's not quite recommended for those that wants to enjoy a casual game, as the game itself is gritty, atmospheric and quite 'hardcore'. It will take many retries until you can find a comfortable pace of the game as the game itself doesn't give you much to go on. Treat every day as your last day, and you'll fit right in.

*Verdict*
This War of Mine is not entirely a fun game, but it's a challenging game that gave you satisfaction after you see your survivors surviving the hear-twisting moments of this game. It's recommended if you like traditional survival games with resource management, but if you want to find an easy game, this isn't a game for you. It'll beat you up until you finally can beat the game.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, for those who likes survival games combined with resource management, this game is a must-play.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Mavin

⭐?️SBENNY MARSHAL?️⭐
Member for 6 years
I love the game..haven't played it for a long time..found a way to hack resources using game Guardian at some point.. 🤣