💬 Review Tusk (2014)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,332,151 happy users since 2014.
Register

B100b100d

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Tusk (2014)

An arrogant podcaster named Wallace travels to Canada to interview (and make fun of) a kid who accidentally sliced his own leg off in a video that went viral, but when he arrives at his home, realises that he died and Wallace now has no one to interview. Desperate, he finds an advertisement from a man wanting to share his life's story, but quickly discovers his dark obsession with Walruses - and wanting to turn people into them.

Review:
Oh god. Please, for the love of all that is good, do NOT watch Tusk. It's clearly a splice film about a dude being turned into a walrus, and because that concept in itself is so deeply troubling, I know that my warnings will inevitably go unheeded and that I will be inadvertently luring more people to seek out this monstrosity if only because you can't get the concept of a man-walrus out of your brain.
This review will be very spoiler-heavy because there’s pretty much Nothing to the plot and therefore spoilers are unavoidable, so if you think you’re desperate to see this film, maybe watch it before you read this.
We follow Wallace (wow his…. his name sounds kind of like Walrus? Weird coincidence I guess), who is the co-host of a podcast called the "not-see party" (haha, get it? what a funny nazi joke), who has a girlfriend he doesn't deserve, and makes money off of mocking other people online.
As mentioned in the short description above, he meets an older gentleman - Howard Howe - who gives Wallace a meal in exchange for telling him his life’s story. He specifically shares that he was once stranded on an island after a shipwreck, and that a walrus he named Mr Tusk saved him. He eventually killed Mr Tusk to avoid starving, only to have a ship find him later that afternoon. Wracked with guilt, he has been spending years killing people and using their skin and various body parts to make walrus skinsuits.
Wallace, who has been drugged, begins to undergo his procedures to turn him into a walrus.
There’s also an extremely boring B-plot about his best friend/co-host and girlfriend (who miss his frantic calls because they’re too busy boning in his absence) who team up with a French-Canadian alcoholic detective, who has become obsessed with catching Howard - and rather bizarrely is portrayed by Johnny Depp???
The film ends with the team finding Wallace as he engages in a weird fight where him and Howard just fling their walrus skinsuit-clad bodies at each other, and Wallace goes “full-walrus”, killing Howard. Everyone is Very sad. A year later, Wallace, despite all logic and reason, has not undergone medical reversals to become human-ish again and is still a walrus living in an abandoned zoo, and sometimes his ex-gf and friend come and throw him a fish or two.

Would you recommend this to other users? No. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect going in seeing as it's a horror-comedy, but even then I was disappointed. There's so little content of Wallace-walrus (which, c'mon, is the only reason any of us are watching any of this garbage), and so much of it is just very lengthy conversations or jokes that don't land and go on for far too long. It's disturbing in a very specific way, so maybe if you were intrigued by it you could probably just find a super-cut of all the bits where Wallace is a walrus - or look up pics, or just watch a video explanation of the film (which would take up only ~10-20 mins of your time instead of 1 hr 42 mins).
If you choose to do it despite my warnings, good-luck to you. It's a wild ride.

Rating(1-5): ⭐

Last edited: