💬 Review Booksmart (2019)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,990 happy users since 2014.
Register

TheKingOfLimbo

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Booksmart (2019)

Academic overachievers Amy and Molly thought keeping their noses to the grindstone gave them a leg up on their high school peers. But on the eve of graduation, the best friends suddenly realize that they may have missed out on the special moments of their teenage years.

Review:
Booksmart (2019)

Huh. I didn't really expect to like the film, but it was pretty nice. This was Olivia Wilde's feature debut.

Story:

As most films like this one, they tend to have the same archetypes and same storyline. And although admittedly, the storyline wasn't really anything new, it still managed to be it's own thing. I actually appreciated the characters. They weren't the very stereotypical 'full on nerd' but actually managed to put their own style.

So in other words, even though it is really quite full of cliches, it was still fun.

This was a pretty funny film. I found it at often times, highly ridiculous and weird. I kind of expected what will happen next. It's a tired formula, but this film managed to show it in a better way.

Music:

This film's music contained a lot of new songs, (and I am honestly not the biggest fan of those type of songs) but I can still appreciate that it added a sort-of-flair into it. I think it added to its eccentricity. Even though personally, I thought it was just fine, I still thought that it was actually pretty good.

Visuals:

This is one aspect I can say that I actually really liked. It was much better than most comedy goes, and I like the aesthetics of it. The cinematography was good, it felt loud and it just hits you on the face - on a good way, I think. But it is really pretty good.

This was an interesting film debut. I'm not gonna say that it's a magnificent or spectacular film, but I'm interested to watch Olivia Wilde's next project. This was way better than most film debuts go. It was just a sweet nice film - albeit used one.

This was a good film. If you're looking for just a quick film to just pass the time, then this could be pretty fine.

[Spoiler Warning! From this point on, there will be spoilers]

Although this film was filled with cliche moments (protagonist likes a certain jock, but ends up with this person who she thought was a weirdo cliche,) I still liked it.

I appreciated that they actually evaded the cliche were bullies are dumb, and won't go anywhere, stuff like that. Like the part where these people were talking s**t about the protagonist and she found out that they got into really great schools.

I also liked the certain archetypes of the character. They were better than how most teen movies go - where it's all built around stereotypes, they managed to avoid that. A nerd and a stuck-up aren't necessarily just plain all nerd stuff and self importance, they are actual human beings with so much more than that.

So this went better than I expected.

3.5/5

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes. It's actually pretty fun.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐