Writer's Notebook

A place for members to share their own original writing.

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Idea time - Game dev thoughts.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
I had been looking through some analytics for games on google play.

I find that there is a small group of huge developers that make a ton of money there. But looking at small developers of really crappy games, individually, they make low amounts of money each month.

And their platforms suck.

But collectively with 30 crappy games, they are actually pulling in a cool 15k a month.

That being said...making a game, such as a choose your own adventure novel...is not that difficult..and can kind of be marketed as an ebook/game.

If one small group of people (especially at least one of them in the USA) could simply create 30 short stories with different paths, multiple endings, multiple loves lost or gained, all on a single platform, and release them on google play...it could be a nice little passive income.

The cost of google play (for a year), maybe a platform to develop on, and marketing shared between them would be quite small.

But these are just some minor ramblings from a person who cant publish on google play because of my country. Lol.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
@johnhern It's funny that you bring this up, because this is something I have been thinking about doing for a while. I am actually currently working on a story to potentially use for that, it's just a work in progress. :) Were you thinking of creating that kind of app?

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Yeah Id have to put a menu in it especially for sbenny and then release it myself. But... I have a few stories in mind. One or two along the lines of something you would probably see published on creepy pasta. Takes me back to the scary stories while camping.

I think they take a tablet to those nowdays. People may not understand it eithout pictures or a meme. Common sense is like a superpower now a days so imagination is probably also in the little basket with it.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Here is the question I was thinking of.... Is it an app that can remotely push new content at 99 cents. Or individual apps with new choose your own adventures?

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Or have a subscription and have different content published each week.. More writers needed for that. And maybe have it as one of two things... Buy the digital rights at low cost or the ability to make a kind of writing name foe themselves and make a small percentage whenever their story is purchased by people without a subscription.

Many thoughts on this ... Maybe at some point it can be a reality.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Excuse any grammar issues. Writing on mobile and the auto correct works sometimes, is retarded at other times, and just doesnt work most of the time. fat fingers and all.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
@CordeliaCross So, after a bit of thought and a quick look through different platforms, AND WHY DID I WATCH THAT WEIRD SCIENCE POP SONG..

SMH....

So.. back to this current thought.. its roughly $25 to publish on Google Play, with other fees I probably cannot see (probably when you sell on there), and $99 a year for the App store, with other fees I probably cannot see (Probably when you sell on there).

The platforms I have in mind are all around $400 a year.

Marketing can be from free to $1k a month depending on factors.

It can be funded by a GoFunMe project but a person from the USA has to be part of a team and that has to be marketed as well.

Before all of that, it has to be developed on paper with great content and about 2 months of it at least.
Content has to have a pattern, meet a base length or more, and so on.

These are my thoughts...

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
@johnhern It can totally be done though. I've actually been trying to get a business loan to get a dedicated office to bring my website to the next level. We are looking to eventually bring on new writers and expand our current sections.

We would also be working on developing a few of those otome / story apps. We even have an outline for a few. I'm just stuck in the logistical phase right now. Lol. We even have scripts for an animated show we have an idea for and have a few interested people on stand by for voice acting and art. We'd also focus on designing a few basic games and growing our presence within Social media networks which would give us a stronger relationship with our viewers and readers.

*sigh* Someday it might work out. It will just be a long time from now, lol.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Lol. Yep, its work.

The problem I have is "ideas". I have lots of them, but never focus on any one until its successful enough to leave it on its own and pick up the next idea.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
My problem is that I have the drive, resources and business experience to do it, I just don't have the startup money lol.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Lol. Yep, check out kickstarter.

Social Media marketing is stupid easy... and free/time consuming (or not, if you have a bot...I have been in social media marketing for years, it works), or costly/little time consuming, or expensive/not even on the time schedule.

The best thing is social media to email list, from email list to kickstarter, and bam, you got yourself 30k.. in theory.. because it works for a ton of other people.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
True. It's just sort of difficult to get going :)

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
But it will happen eventually one way or another, I don't give up :D.