Writer's Notebook

A place for members to share their own original writing.

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Red Drum

chere100

Droidstein Lv8️⃣
Verified 18+ user
Member for 5 years
I got a red drum for my birthday, I play it all the time.
Sometimes people hate me for it, sometimes they find it sublime.
I have made my dearest memories with it, and met the best of friends.
It has helped me when I was sad, and it helped me make amends.

My red drum got me in and out of trouble, it guided my way.
I tried my best to care for it, but it still decayed.
I want to keep playing it, even as it declines.
Unfortunately nothing lasts forever, and I ran out of time.

I normally wouldn't do this as I believe a poem should be left to interpretation, but I'm afraid of how badly a poem could translate into another language. The red drum in this poem is a metaphor for heart. Both a literal and figurative heart.
"I got a red drum for my birthday" equals "I got a heart for my birthday" or "I got a life for my birthday". Literally, on the day you are born you are given life. Given a red drum that you play all the time. A heart you play all the time. In a literal sense you aren't given much choice in this as your heart is supposed to beat. It could also mean you're living your life. The life gifted to you on the day you were born.
"Sometimes people hate me for it" By this I meant people hating you for being yourself.
"Sometimes they find it sublime" Others will love you for being yourself.
"I have made my dearest memories with it, and met the best of friends" This sentence is straightforward and shouldn't need explanation.
"It helped me when I was sad" Technically, your heart doesn't actually help you when you're sad, but it feels like it does.
"and it helped me make amends" Feelings that make you do the right thing such as apologize. Guilt. Empathy. Heart = emotions
"My red drum got me in and out of trouble, it guided my way." Red drum = heart = conscience
"I tried my best to care for it, but it still decayed." No matter how well you care for yourself, we all age.
"I want to keep playing it, even as it declines." You want to keep living life.
"Unfortunately nothing lasts forever, and I ran out of time." This sentence is entirely literal and shouldn't need to be explained.
Incidentally, I'm quite proud that I managed to neatly fit the word time around the start and end of the poem. Your time starts, and eventually it ends just like this poem... how's the melancholy? :devilish:

Last edited:

chere100

Droidstein Lv8️⃣
Verified 18+ user
Member for 5 years
Noooooooh, little drum :( don't do this to me! LIIIIVE! D:>
It's too bad it doesn't work that way. Once you run out of time, that's it. :cry:
Incidentally, I was looking for a totally different poem to share in honor of this spooky season. However, I couldn't find my notebook. So instead, I went to google for a random word generator and got drum. Hence, this poem was born specifically to be posted here. I think I'm going to break the poem down because I'm not sure how well metaphor can translate to other languages.

Another Coffee

Sbennytopia's Royal Hatter
Member for 5 years
It's too bad it doesn't work that way. Once you run out of time, that's it. :cry:
Incidentally, I was looking for a totally different poem to share in honor of this spooky season. However, I couldn't find my notebook. So instead, I went to google for a random word generator and got drum. Hence, this poem was born specifically to be posted here. I think I'm going to break the poem down because I'm not sure how well metaphor can translate to other languages.
Leave my red drum out of your machinations!!! D:
It was a beautiful poem tho *-*

chere100

Droidstein Lv8️⃣
Verified 18+ user
Member for 5 years
It was a beautiful poem tho *-*
Thank you! :D 💓
Post automatically merged:

If you're interested I put the intended meaning of the poem under said poem as a spoiler. Though, if your first language is english it might not be needed. 😊

Last edited:

Another Coffee

Sbennytopia's Royal Hatter
Member for 5 years
You're very welcome. I really do hate telling the meaning of a poem, but I don't want my poem coming across as nonsense either. :)
I don't think that anyone who likes poetry can call a poem nonsense :p and i know what you mean. Hand holding is pretty intrusive in how one perceives things :)

qth

Fuzz Pawldrin
Member for 6 years
Thank you for this lovely poem. Never did it cross my mind to find the drum as a symbolism of the heart. The two does actually sounds the same, doesn't it?

Anyway, your intended meaning is very fitting that I'm hard pressed for any other. And it doesn't come off as nonsense to me, more like thoughtful. Short but sweet bittersweet.

Last edited: