💬 Review Sky: Children of The Light

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,291 happy users since 2014.
Register

Pitoumugis

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Sky: Children of The Light

Sky: Children of the Light is a social indie adventure game developed and published by Thatgamecompany. In Sky, we arrive as the Children of the Light, spreading hope through the desolate kingdom to return fallen Stars to their constellations.

Review:
Sky is an absolutely beautiful game to start with, from excellent character designs, to the layout of the land and the lighting in it, everything seems to have a soft glow to it, and feels absolutely magical. There's something so wonderful about how your character, so small, soars through the air, over clouds, floating islands, the way you can fly alongside birds and soaring manta rays... It's so picturesque it reminds me of a Ghibli movie. Of course, these graphics come with their own drawbacks, in that they require a pretty decent phone, one that I just barely don't have, so sadly the beautiful scene is sometimes ruined by stuttering lag. It's the price to pay for such a pretty game.

Gameplay and story-wise... Well, there's not much, at least, that you can gather at a cursory glance. Once you get into the game, there's no words spoken again, and everything is up to you to infer or interpret. For some, this may seem very bare bones and boring, but for others, this may pave the way for theories and creativity, so I suppose everything depends on the person, there. I, personally, very much enjoy the freedom of creativity, and have my own theories and lore I've based around my character.

But once I completed all the realms, I wondered if there was much reason to keep playing the game. Turns out, yes! As Thatgamecompany regularly releases new events in Sky called seasons-- at the time of writing this, the current season is the season of prophecy. These seasons have their own little stories and come with, my favorite part, new cosmetics! Thus, I'm encourage to keep playing to obtain all the cute little masks or capes that I so desperately want. And, best of all, even if you fail to complete a season in time or if you miss it entirely, you can still get those cosmetics from traveling spirits as they come back every now and then.

My only qualm is the currency within the game. Which is candles and hearts. Candles can be used to buy most things like spells and expression upgrades, and they're pretty easy to farm, and you can even buy them with real money if you so choose-- It's the hearts, which are used to purchase cosmetics and instruments, that I find difficult to get. You can purchase a heart from every spirit in the realms for three candles, but you can only buy it once... So, once you've bought all the hearts from the spirits, how else do you get hearts? From... other players. Which is difficult, for me at least, since I'm a very solitary player. I have a friend who I brought into the game and we sometimes gift each other hearts, but every friend I've made in the game... well, I exchange candles with them, but otherwise, I've never seen them again. Or if I have, I never tried to interact with them. It's unfortunately terribly biased against poor shy fools like me who feel too awkward to go up to another player and ask to be friends. You can also get hearts by getting 10 likes on a message you leave at a shrine, but it needs 3 likes from a friend first before it goes public. Of which, I only have one friend who likes my messages... Sometimes two, if I'm lucky.

Despite this, though, the game is still stunning, and it makes me feel very peaceful when I play it. The community seems largely wholesome, which always makes me happy when I play it.

Would you recommend this to other users? Absolutely. It may not be a game for everyone, but I would without a doubt encourage people to try it at least once, because I think they may be pleasantly surprised!

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐